User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to terrariums and need help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might want to replace my bulb on this fixture, so where do I go to buy a bulb? Home Depot? Lowes? Wal-mart? And what brands will there be? Also, what do the boxes look like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18" fluorescent tubes can be found at pretty much any store that sells lightbulbs. They are usually sold in a box of one bulb for around $6-$7, you can find them by all the other fluorescent tubes.

Get the brand that has the highest lumen rating at the best color temperature, which is around 6500K (usually marked cool white or daylight). Philips 18" bulbs usually have specs written on the side of the box, I don't know about other brands.

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, cool. I'll go to Wal-mart today to get one. Hopefully I'll find what I need. Thanks for the help everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all I could find was GE bulbs. They're cool white, but the lumens per bulb is only 825. The 6500k you speak of was only on the huge bulbs (like 48 inches and above) but I only need the small one for my tank. Your thoughts?

Edit: I was looking at the wrong information!! Hahaha!! So I bought a few bulbs with 825 lumens, but you were speaking about the color temp when you referred to the 6500k. The bulb I bought (actually I bought two just in case) has a color temp of 4100k and a CRI of 60. It seems pretty darn bright over my terrarium, but should I use the second bulb along with the first (I have a second fixture I could put on top)? Or will those specs work for my tank? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very difficult to get too much artificial light. If you have a second fixture, your plants should enjoy the extra light (as long as there is enough ventilation!). With one light, they should do fine, probably with somewhat less coloration. The only way to know for sure is to experiment.

As for the light, 4100K at 825 lumens sounds a lot like what I have seen for an 18" 15-watt bulb. As long as it said cool white it should be great.

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, excellent. I just want to thank you for all the help you've been giving me.

I think I might try growing with both my fixtures, since I have the extra bulb. What's a safe amount of space to leave open at the top of the tank for ventilation? Right now I can easily cover the entire top with both fixtures, but I can also separate them so there's an inch and a half gap between them. I guess what I want to know is, how hot can these cool lights get? My reptile lights got too hot and ended up overheating the tank, even with the gap I left. Do you think I should risk lack of air circulation and keep both lights on the top, or deal with less coloring in my plants and just keep the one light?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18" tubes should not put out much heat. However, I would recommend buying a thermometer/hygrometer combo to put in the terrarium so that you can monitor the environment inside, and this would also be helpful information to know if you run into problems. Lowes or Home Depot usually have a digital thermo/hygro for $20.

At the very least, put in any thermometer and monitor it closely for the first hour or two to see what the temp is. It should be around 80-85F at most. If it gets too hot, you can always buy a small computer fan to fix the problem.

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would one put the fan inside the tank, or on top or what? Also, do they just come with a plug that goes right into an outlet or is there wiring involved?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast