Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Think my plant is dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the deal. I'm new to this and I have a 10 gallon tank with a venus fly trap. It started off nice. I have perlite on the bottom and then I have some mixed with with some peat moss. Then I have this long fiber moss stuff on top of that. I filled it with about 1 gallon of distilled water and put a fluorescent light over it. I then fed it part of a night crawler and then it started to turn black and looks like it's drying up. I spary it with the distilled water everday and I even put a second light on it but I dunno. Should I cover the top with some plastic to help out humidity or what? All the traps are closed and they look like they are cracking and turning black. Can anyone help out a rookie?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi J and welcome to the forums! Just cut off the blackened trap. It would appear that the VFT had indigestion.

Humifity is overerrated and many who go the terrarium route tun into problems with mold from the lack of air circulation.

VFT's do the best when outside but will do very well when the pot is placed in a distilled water filled plastic container, at a south-facing window sill. here is a picture to illustrate this:

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/jimscott/Jamie's%20Plants.jpg[/img]

It lacks aesthetics, but you'll get the idea. Any other questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Wisconsin so I don't know about putting it outside and then what would I do in the winter? I got rid of the black parts but they steams look like they are drying out and getting kinda yellow/white crusty spots. I would put them on a window still but its kinda too big for that so I have to use artificial light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JMurphy97.
    I live in Wisconsin too. Grew up in Milwaukee, but live about 45 minutes west of oshkosh now.

I just moved all my plants outside today. VFTs (Venus Fly Traps) can handle a light frost. But I am still going to keep an eye on the weather, and will bring them back in if it should look like it may frost again, or hit another extended cold spell. Our summers are plenty humid for most CPs (Carnivorous Plants).

VFTs require a winter dormancy period. But shouldn't be left outside here over winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]DORMANCY : Dormancy is best done by taking the plant out of the pot during mid-autumn , spray it with fungicide , wrap the roots with peat moss or lfs ( long fibered sphagnum ), put it in a plastic bag , then place it in the refridgerator , and take it out in early spring . If you are fortunate enough to live in an area similar to the climate found in a venus flytrap's natural habitat then you should keep your plants outside year round . Remember to take off dead plant matter to avoid fungus .
    I have not had my VFTs for a winter yet. But I let a couple of the spare bedrooms in my house drop down to just over freezing during the winter, so any of my plants that need a winter dormancy will be placed in those rooms.

Earthworms aren't generally good for VFTs (from what I have read) They are to high in nutrients.

If you can post some pictures of your plant it will help in determining how bad the situation is.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I place it in direct sun or kinda in the shade?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Direct sunlight is best. Don't worry about dormancy for another few months. Then we'll discuss the different strategies. For now, the more light they get - the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs don't need THAT much humidity... in fact, most newbies overdo the humidity.

Unless you live in an arid climate, they will do just fine outside. Just keep the soil wet.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks to everyone for the help. I will move the tank outside today see how it goes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast