What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pft terrarium kit

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A friend was asking me about this and I don't use a terrarium set up. Here is the link to it:

Terrarium Kit

Whaddya think of it?

I don't use it. I buiild all my grow chambers/terrariums.

My comments on it:

Its way to small.

I have to be upfront about this set-up. I would'nt grow anything in it due to the size and no drawage at the bottom of the bow. This is what i think tho.

I used to grow a P. primuflora in there and it worked pretty well.  The only problem was when I watered it, all the dew got washed off.

I don't know the exact demensions of that kit. But I can tell you this. What I'm about to show you is about 6 inches tall and 7 inches across (maybe a gallon?) I have LFS on the bottom only about 2.5-3 inches deep. This season when i divided my common vfts i put the "extra" parts in this tray. And this is what I ended up with... none of the traps currently extend taller than the "pot" Maybe this will help decide if one of these would be cool to grow something in....
junkvft.jpg

Andrew

Yay! I bought one of those during the bare root VFT sale and it's worked wonderfully for me! I think it's a 1.5 gallon one. I got another one earlier from another site as a birthday present, and let me tell you, the ones from PFT are WAY nicer- even people with banana hands like mine can work with them.
laugh.gif
In conclusion, I highly recommend this if your friend needs just a small terrarium, it's durable (my other plastic one is cracking), and the opening up top is a quite reasonable size.
smile.gif

Hey Andrew, were those flyraps grown outside or inside?

This "pot" is outside in my green house

What would be nice to be able to buy from PFT is a terrarium like they make in Germany, with a ventilation slot situated near the bottom to encourage convective cooling while maintaining good humidity. That's the only thing you can't get from a small fish tank, and would be very useful for growing things like highland neps and cephalotus and such.

Back