Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You win some, you loose some

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO, would it be better, for protection and lighting level sake, should i create a second terrarium for sundews that i let humidy fluctuate lower than my main tank

~jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    COB,

Never had a problem with dews and cats.....Now sars, helis and neps, on the other hand, need to be kept out of reach. I'd say you can safely take the dews out of the tank.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, i did have a problem once with a sendew and a feline. I had a d. spatulata clump on a windowsill. One day i was watching tv when my housemates cat jumped up on the couch with me carrying the entire clump by a flower stem. He had ripped it out of the pot. Luckally, i was able to repot the plant and its doing fine now. ACtually, while im here, let me ask a question. I have just recently gotten a P. Primuliflora. How will that do in the conditions of my terrarium? SHould it be misted? Overhead watered? Or just tray method with no overhead?

~jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I am growing N. rafflesiana, D. capensis, H. heterodoxa x minor, and more in a 10g tank with humidity that fluctuates between 40% to 80% (usually around 45-50%). I never mist any of these plants, and have 2 80mm fans blowing over the tank.

All the plants are doing great, the D. capensis is spreading like a weed and the N. rafflesiana is growing so quickly that I will need to move it soon.

Do you keep the sundews in consistently wet conditions? What soil mix do you use? If you have your own RO filter, have you tested it to make sure it is functioning properly?

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sundews are in a constantly wet condition. I keep them on the tray method, adding about an inch or so of water everytime the water level is below 1/4 inch. I dont use a fan, so maybe the problem is air circulation. I use a one part Canadian Sphagnum peat to one part sand, though i dont know if the sand is lime free. I get my water from a local supermarket's RO unit. I dont think its the water, because that would have killed off my other plants that i have had alot longer. It might be the sand. It might be air circulation, a situation that might be resolving itself soon now that its actually warm enough where i live to be able to open the windows during the day, and the terrarium is right by the windows. I have moved two of the sundews in question out of the terrarium and onto my desk by the window and suplimented by a shop lamp with a grow bulb in it.

The funiest thing about this whole set up is my housemates cat (an animal that i would love to throw on a bbq). On the rare occations that i allow him in my room, he likes to chase flys around. The fly's looking for a safe spot, usually wander into my terrarium. Much to the dismay of the cat, who's loud , whinning complaints usually get him thrown out of my room at great velocity. The cool think is, one the fly is in there, i can close the lid all the way, take off the front cover so that i can see inside, and take bets on what plant the fly will land to its doom. Its called, "CP roulete" Its great, i suggest you try it.

~jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah Ben,
    If the d. capensis is a weed... and you feel the need to get rid of some... but you dont want to throw it in the trash... i could always try again...

~wishful thinking
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and again and again and again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you wash the sand with pure water before potting the plant in it? I have seen lots of advice about doing this. You may want to just try a peat-only mix on a few sundews so you can find out of this is the problem.

If you need better circulation, you can install an 80mm computer fan or one of those really small AC fans available at some stores (I have only seen them at Fred Meyer here, I don't know if they are available where you are). The computer fans usually require wiring, and also need a transformer if they are DC. You can usually find a suitable transformer for $1 at Value Village and a fan at a computer store from $4-$5.

As for D. capensis, its weedlike qualities are one of the things that make it so cool. If you don't believe me, check this out, it used to be a single plant:

I may be able to give you some if you don't mind them being small. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: I forgot to ask if you made sure that the water machine at the store does not add any sodium. Although it seems OK since your other plants are doing OK, some plants may be more susceptible to minerals/salt than others. I know Nepenthes are supposed to be less susceptible.

-Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast