Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mini-bog drainage techniques

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After visiting Elgcko this past Sunday, and seeing his mini-bog, I have become re-inspired to re-kindle the endeavor. I now have two good-sized buckets and a pail, filled with peat & sand, topdressed with LFS. I have my few Sarracenias, a VFT, a few Droseras, and some Darlingtonia seedlings.

Now I would know what to do with window sill plants and open tray and pots with holes at the bottom. What do you do with an un-natural mini-bog? Do you bore holes in it or not? If so, do you put the holes at the top, middle, or bottom?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott,
    I drilled holes into mine about half way up the sides to allow for drainage.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drill a hole in the side close to the bottom. Push some long fibered sphagnum into the hole to prevent soil loss. Plug the hole with a rubber stopper (they can be found at any hardware store--check the size before you drill the hole). Pull the plug once a week or so and flush the mini-bog with pure water. If you have a completely undrained container, it will soon smell like it needs it's diapers changed.

In a natural bog it may seem like there's just a bunch of standing water, however, under the peat there is always slowly moving fresh water that flushes away minerals and impurities.

Brian