Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid mom

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Topic: Stupid mom
    Ahem. I think you could stand to show a little more respect for the woman who braught you in to this world. :-\ Furthermore, name-calling doesn't make your arguement any more convincing... Ok, so worst case scenario she thinks you're over-watering them. So what?? Is it really worth being crass over? The best way to show her you're right is to keep a level head, stay respectful, and calmly show her. Use whatever evidence you like, or just show her later that the plants are still doing fine.... But that's just my bit.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ June 04 2005,2:42)]Depends what plants you have. Preatty much anything but Neps and Drosophyllum will be happy in a water tray
    I even keep my Neps in a water tray.

I don't keep it full; I only fill it about 1 cm deep, and i let it dry completely before watering again.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best advice is to show her a book, like The Savage Garden. Why should she believe a bunch of internet yahoos, if she doesn't even believe that you've done your research and know what you're doing?

My father was the same way with me... he never seemed to trust that i was competent at anything. Even when I got my MS in physics, he still would argue physics with me. He stopped being so arrogant, however, once I got my MBA, oddly. Suddenly, then, I wasn't "messing up his computer" whenever I came home, and he actually sought my advice on various matters.

BTW, you MIGHT want to edit the title of your post, and the tone of it, especially if you plan to show her the responses in this thread! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Est, can you come to my house and be one of my sons even though you are pretty old already?

I must admit I have never been called stupid by any of my kids. I would be absolutely crushed. I must add that I have never called any of my kids stupid either. It's a matter of respect and common courtesy. My kids are pretty sharp and they have good communication skills which they practice on me! I am entitled to change a no to a yes based on what they say and I do it quite frequently these days. I am not an unresonable parent. I do like to be given the benefit of the doubt by being provided with a thorough explanation though because I just don't know everything any more like I used to when I was in my teens.

There's something out there called natural consequences. Far be it for me to interfere in that process if no harm can come to one of my kids. There are times I allow my kids to do something that doesn't have my stamp of approval because I figure no sense wasting my breath and "hands on" experiences can be great teachers.

Mannex, I wish you luck with your Mom. Here's something that one of my kids used on me once that was inarguable. Actually I had to giggle about what he said to me out of his view because it was brilliant. We had a discussion about the right and wrong way to do xyz. His comment to me was that I was probably 100% correct but if I didn't mind, he'd like to still try it his way for a month or so. Fair enough. How does a parent argue with a kid who approaches them that way? It was his wording. Under normal circumstances, I would have gone into a long dissertation on all the reasons why not. That time I thought, go for it and may the "force be with you"- an inside joke. Perhaps you might want to try a similar approach given there aren't too many Moms out there who have experience with keeping CPs happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clear a few things up I started this topic when I was tired and angry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 05 2005,11:21)]There's something out there called natural consequences. Far be it for me to interfere in that process if no harm can come to one of my kids. There are times I allow my kids to do something that doesn't have my stamp of approval because I figure no sense wasting my breath and "hands on" experiences can be great teachers.
    Dang, i just wrote something to that effect in a different thread.

I rely on natural consequences as much as possible. That way, I'm not the "bad guy"... the laws of physics are!
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Just to clear a few things up I started this topic when I was tired and angry...
    Yeah, I thought that was probably the case, and we all get to that place some time. I didn't mean to rag on ya too much, just wanted to put things in to perspective for you: she's your caring Mum, and it isn't worth getting too upset over. My advice would just be to hear her out so that she's content at having said her side of the story, then show her a website or in a book to prove yourself. If you're polite, she'll be much more willing to believe you. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest subliminal messaging; you can just put headphones on her while she sleeps and run a statement in repeat telling her that you're right. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Good luck with your Mum, they can be punks sometimes. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Quote[/b] ]Est, can you come to my house and be one of my sons even though you are pretty old already?
    Can you make sandwiches?!?! (Oh, and none of that peanut butter nonsense) Besides, I'm still 16, just a youngun: I'd be more worried about my height if I were you (6ft 2)... You may want to put some tress or large shrubs in the house to make me blend in more. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ June 06 2005,12:59)]Just to clear a few things up I started this topic when I was tired and angry...
    Besides, scolding me won't make my mom any smarter! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast