Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid mom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time my mom sees me watering my plants, she always spurts off something stupid like "You're drowing them! They don't need that much water!" I retaliate by telling her they live in a bog, where there is water everywhere constantly. Can you guys please offer some watering advice, so I can show my mom this page to get her to shutup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well your mom may be crazy but I doubt you should tell her to shut up

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The need alot of water but they also need good drainage. As long as the water runs out soon after you water them you can water too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them sitting in water trays, so I don't really know if that counts as drainage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what plants you have. Preatty much anything but Neps and Drosophyllum will be happy in a water tray

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you can pull off growing neps in trays if you are careful about it.

show her some pics of their environment in nature. choose pictures that have alot of puddles and mud and stuff.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the library and check out The Savage Garden. Then you can show her where it details how the plants should be watered, species by species. Arm her with information and then ask her to trust in you that you really know what you are doing.

If you want a firsthand "This is how this plant SHOULD be" kind of thing, then you can quote me with this: "A properly watered Venus Fly Trap, Sarracenia and most Drosera should have soil damp enough that when you pick up a bit and squeeze it in your fingers, water should run down your hand and arm like grease from a really good cheeseburger." My plants all stand in trays with water from 1/2 to 2 inches deep or more.

Good luck,
    Steve

EDIT: It should be noted here that what Ozzy said is very important. Yes, some of my plants are sitting 2 inches deep, but they also use all that water within 24-48 hours (less in mid summer). So while they are filled to a couple inches deep, the next day they are nearly ready for water again.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...definitely show your mom this page and don't forget to point out the part where you call her 'stupid'. I'm sure she'll appreciate that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast