What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor green houses?

Ive started a collection of a large varity of unusual plants:
Weeping fig(ficus)
venus flytrap
mimosa
Tillandsia (air plant)
Phalaenopsis orchid
lithops
succulents
dragon tree
wandering jew

Im hoping to get a more wide varity of plants, and i have a question, Would tihese products work well for most indoor, tropical, and exotic plants? Could i use them for just about anything?

canadian tire goodness.....

My main attraction to them is to keep my cat from nibbling toxic varities, which have to stay out of reach, out of the light, And ony get around a half hour of light every couple days.

Could i keep these in a relitivaly shaded windowsill, Or in a hotter lighter windowsill? (My window is both depending on the time of year, right now it is shaded)

whadda think?

-tyrel-

EDIT: sorry! i forgot to say which products! I mean the ones with the  3 or 4 shelves, that are made of eaither green wire frame, or wood.

Tyrel,

Hey, those greenhouses are actually perfect if you can get enough light into them. To be honest, lithops wouldn't survive too long in with CP's. They are the most arid loving plants i've ever seen in my life. Depending on the succulent it could deal. I know I had jade growing in with dews for awhile for some reason.

I was growing Ping's and Utric's in one of those 4-tier greenhouses on a sunlit porch for quite some time...that is until I ripped the thing apart, modified the shelves and turned it on its side...put two or three sets of shoplights over the side and turned it into a nice little grow space for neps. ;)

YES, YES, and YES

I have two 4-level indoor grow racks EXACTLY like those shown. In fact, I visited the site a month ago and almost bought another.

I grow some CPs in these, and have about 20 lithops and about 50 other potted succluents and cacti growing in these as well. Below each shelf, I attached 2 2' shop lights each holding 2 20W cool white fluorescent bulbs. The cacti love it, the lithops are compact and some have flowered. The key to lithops care is watering schedule. You should begin watering in spring, continue into summer (unless temps are very high, in which case, the plants go dormant) through flowering. After flowering, stop the watering and do not resume until the old leaves have completely dessicated. Failing to do so will result in rot or "stacking" (an undesireable condition where the old leaves persist).

Don't forget to buy an AC CPU fan from radioshack for good air circulation. Cacti and succulents (as well as CPs) are VERY prone to fungal infections if the air doesn't circulate.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

oh wow! i forgot about this topic! thanks for the advice.

Back