Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casualties of war

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ June 17 2005,1:04)]I appreciate the offer... I will wait about 2 weeks before calling time of death. They may still recover from roots.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!
    I'll be a safety valve if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    teh suxor
    https://www.instagram.com/hull.jess/ (I post pics of my plants there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, I'm facing a new threat: mold!

My grow chamber smells really musty. The dead/dying sundew and Utric pots are becoming covered with fluffy white mold. It seems to be coming under control with shots of Physan 20, and I am monitoring the situation a few times daily.

I am also adding U. welwitschii and U. prehensilis to the casualty list.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this is craptacular:

I just noticed my D. aliciae also had aphids. It did not have them a few days ago... I went over it with a 7X hand lens. Tonight, I noticed the new leaves were blackening, so I looked again: aphids. So, I drowned the pot, but i only plan to leave it for 2 days.

And now I need to check the adjacent pots again for aphids. At least those plants are pretty much all dead, so there's nothing for the aphids to attack.

If I could extinct one genus utterly...

Maybe I could try constructing a fumigation chamber, using flea collars instead of water in the future... I had good results with a flea collar in a small, enclosed chamber before.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the flea collar, recently, with no noticeable effects. I have had 100 % success with the drowning.

I have some D. aliciae to spare, as well as the D. dielsiana I promised, and I have enough U. Welwhictchii (sp.) to send ya. Just say the word...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 22 2005,1:27)]I tried the flea collar, recently, with no noticeable effects. I have had 100 % success with the drowning.

I have some D. aliciae to spare, as well as the D. dielsiana I promised, and I have enough U. Welwhictchii (sp.) to send ya. Just say the word...
    Thanks!

Let me see how the D. aliciae fares... I think i caught the aphid infestation in time.

I'll prolly take you up on the U. welwitschii offer, though, but hold off on sending until i know what i need.

One thing i noticed... U. sandersonii and U. livida held up well under a week of submersion, and the non-sphagnous moss in their pots seems to have died. Maybe this is a means to control the weed moss, as well?
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we wouldn't want to use pesticides for CPs unless it comes down to it but the guys over at cobraplants.com (check out what they grow) are experienced CP growers. They've been growing them for over 20 years and have also encountered aphid problems. The method they use to treat their aphids is Ortho Systemic Insect Killer. They claim they haven't had any damage to the CPs when using this, just the aphids. For more information here's a link:

http://www.cobraplants.com/FAQ-7S.html

To me this seems like the best method if it doesn't harm your plants. It kills the live aphids, and their eggs. Any future attacks on your plants will just kill them (up to 4 weeks).
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think of this:

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/hpw.html

Repels insects and animals, all natural.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast