Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casualties of war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drowned a number of my Utrics and sundews to treat for aphids as recommended. I left them submerged for 7 days.

A few of them did not survive the treatment. The incomplete list of casualties includes:

D. binata (dichotoma small red)
    D. binata (T-form, small)
    D. filiformis 'California Sunset'

U. calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh'
    U. calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
    U. prehensilis
    U. sandersonii (blue)

I lost a few other pots, but I had some back-up plants in trays i was intending to give away, so I'm good on those.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] That's a darn shame.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sympathise with your losses. I am surprised that the plants couldn't withstand the water treatment, though. I would be happy to send you replacements if you would like. I may not have the specific cultivars for the D. binata or U. calcyfida, but I have the species and all the rest listed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! Maybe if you reduce the time to 24 hours to 2 days? I left a D. capensis underwater for about 2-3 days and it made it, although the soil didn't smell good. Now I don't leave them for much more than 24 hours. It may not get all the aphids on the first pass, but better than the alternative...

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2005,5:06)]I sympathise with your losses. I am surprised that the plants couldn't withstand the water treatment, though. I would be happy to send you replacements if you would like. I may not have the specific cultivars for the D. binata or U. calcyfida, but I have the species and all the rest listed. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I appreciate the offer... I will wait about 2 weeks before calling time of death. They may still recover from roots.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seven days is a long time. I submerge mine for two days and have never lost even one plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ June 17 2005,1:08)]Seven days is a long time. I submerge mine for two days and have never lost even one plant.
    If there's a next time, I will try for two days only.
    My Grow List

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen success/failure has alot to do with the amount of light they have while submerged... The light must be very strong... Or else the plants most likely won't make it. At the same time, water changes are nessasary every few days. To keep the water "fresh". these are my own views on the subject.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast