What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I drowned a number of my Utrics and sundews to treat for aphids as recommended. I left them submerged for 7 days.

A few of them did not survive the treatment. The incomplete list of casualties includes:

D. binata (dichotoma small red)
D. binata (T-form, small)
D. filiformis 'California Sunset'

U. calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh'
U. calycifida 'Yog-Sothoth'
U. prehensilis
U. sandersonii (blue)

I lost a few other pots, but I had some back-up plants in trays i was intending to give away, so I'm good on those.

smile_h_32.gif
 That's a darn shame.

I sympathise with your losses. I am surprised that the plants couldn't withstand the water treatment, though. I would be happy to send you replacements if you would like. I may not have the specific cultivars for the D. binata or U. calcyfida, but I have the species and all the rest listed.
smile_h_32.gif

Ouch! Maybe if you reduce the time to 24 hours to 2 days? I left a D. capensis underwater for about 2-3 days and it made it, although the soil didn't smell good. Now I don't leave them for much more than 24 hours. It may not get all the aphids on the first pass, but better than the alternative...

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 16 2005,5:06)]I sympathise with your losses. I am surprised that the plants couldn't withstand the water treatment, though. I would be happy to send you replacements if you would like. I may not have the specific cultivars for the D. binata or U. calcyfida, but I have the species and all the rest listed.  
smile_h_32.gif
I appreciate the offer... I will wait about 2 weeks before calling time of death. They may still recover from roots.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Seven days is a long time. I submerge mine for two days and have never lost even one plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ June 17 2005,1:08)]Seven days is a long time.  I submerge mine for two days and have never lost even one plant.
If there's a next time, I will try for two days only.

From what I've seen success/failure has alot to do with the amount of light they have while submerged... The light must be very strong... Or else the plants most likely won't make it. At the same time, water changes are nessasary every few days. To keep the water "fresh". these are my own views on the subject.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ June 17 2005,1:04)]I appreciate the offer... I will wait about 2 weeks before calling time of death.  They may still recover from roots.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!
I'll be a safety valve if necessary.

Now, I'm facing a new threat: mold!

My grow chamber smells really musty.  The dead/dying sundew and Utric pots are becoming covered with fluffy white mold.  It seems to be coming under control with shots of Physan 20, and I am monitoring the situation a few times daily.

I am also adding U. welwitschii and U. prehensilis to the casualty list.

Well, this is craptacular:

I just noticed my D. aliciae also had aphids.  It did not have them a few days ago... I went over it with a 7X hand lens.  Tonight, I noticed the new leaves were blackening, so I looked again:  aphids.  So, I drowned the pot, but i only plan to leave it for 2 days.

And now I need to check the adjacent pots again for aphids.  At least those plants are pretty much all dead, so there's nothing for the aphids to attack.

If I could extinct one genus utterly...

Maybe I could try constructing a fumigation chamber, using flea collars instead of water in the future... I had good results with a flea collar in a small, enclosed chamber before.

I tried the flea collar, recently, with no noticeable effects. I have had 100 % success with the drowning.

I have some D. aliciae to spare, as well as the D. dielsiana I promised, and I have enough U. Welwhictchii (sp.) to send ya. Just say the word...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 22 2005,1:27)]I tried the flea collar, recently, with no noticeable effects. I have had 100 % success with the drowning.

I have some D. aliciae to spare, as well as the D. dielsiana I promised, and I have enough U. Welwhictchii (sp.) to send ya. Just say the word...
Thanks!

Let me see how the D. aliciae fares... I think i caught the aphid infestation in time.

I'll prolly take you up on the U. welwitschii offer, though, but hold off on sending until i know what i need.

One thing i noticed... U. sandersonii and U. livida held up well under a week of submersion, and the non-sphagnous moss in their pots seems to have died. Maybe this is a means to control the weed moss, as well?

I know we wouldn't want to use pesticides for CPs unless it comes down to it but the guys over at cobraplants.com (check out what they grow) are experienced CP growers. They've been growing them for over 20 years and have also encountered aphid problems. The method they use to treat their aphids is Ortho Systemic Insect Killer. They claim they haven't had any damage to the CPs when using this, just the aphids. For more information here's a link:

http://www.cobraplants.com/FAQ-7S.html

To me this seems like the best method if it doesn't harm your plants. It kills the live aphids, and their eggs. Any future attacks on your plants will just kill them (up to 4 weeks).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ June 22 2005,4:53)]I know we wouldn't want to use pesticides for CPs unless it comes down to it but the guys over at cobraplants.com (check out what they grow) are experienced CP growers.  They've been growing them for over 20 years and have also encountered aphid problems.  The method they use to treat their aphids is Ortho Systemic Insect Killer.  They claim they haven't had any damage to the CPs when using this, just the aphids.  For more information here's a link:

http://www.cobraplants.com/FAQ-7S.html

To me this seems like the best method if it doesn't harm your plants.  It kills the live aphids, and their eggs.  Any future attacks on your plants will just kill them (up to 4 weeks).
Is this the stuff?

162566_4.jpg

I need to pick some up on the way home today.

My D. capensis are all infested, too, I just discovered.

Die, you $*%@^!$ aphids, die!!!

Yeah that's the stuff.

I used it on my plants outside 4 days ago (they all look fine). I saw a little damage to my plants and found a little grey bug crawling around in the LFS. I threw him on my sundew and watched him die. I couldn't find anymore of these bugs on the surface so I began reading about them. I guess they can live under the surface and eat your plants roots! I didn't really want to take any chances so I just bought the stuff. I figured it would atleast protect them for awhile incase something does try to attack them.

I mixed the concentrate in my sprayer (24oz bottle). The bottle says to mix 2 Tbsp/ 1 gallon. That equates to 1.2tsp per 24oz (incase you are going to use the sprayer.

Let us know how it works for you, for me my plants are fine and bug free.

Back