What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland terrarium lighting

How many watts of light are needed in a highland terrarium and how do I cool it? (10 gallon, with tuberous dews, U. reniformis, Ceph, D. hamiltonii, probibly Heliamphora and brocchina later).

What would I use to move air in this situation?

i'd personally put as many lights over it as i can. same light as a lowlander would require i assume.

add a PC fan for circulation.

Dido to what JLAP said.

However, compact fluros or a fluorex would probably be the only way to get enough light, and keeping such a small terrarium cool with these lights overhead may be an issue.
There are several methods of cooling a terrarium (read prior posts) but they're probably not practical for a tiny terrarium.

Oh.....and I have been growing brocchinia and heliamphora heterodoxa x minor under more lowland conditions (80-85F day, 70F night). The brocchinia are almost 20" tall and I'm concerned it might outgrow the terrarium!

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for such a small enclosure, but you could use a humidifier to cool it. Temps go down as humidity goes up, so sticking an ultrasonic humidifier in there would definitely cool things. I think I've read reports of a difference of ten degrees or more from the ambient air temperature using this method.
~Joe

Hmm. Okay then I suppose I need more watts then I have (30 with 15 full spectrum).

I have 46W on mine. 30's on the low side, but you can probably get away with it if you grow CPs that like medium light....but highland neps? Hmmm....you might have a hard time getting them to grow nice pitchers if the light's too low.

Back