What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini greenhouse

What do you think about the four season greenhouse in the link below?
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/growpro.shtml
I would like to eventually get this greenhouse in the future for my plants. Does anybody on here have this greenhouse? If so, does it do a good job?Please let me know what you think abut this greenhouse.
Thanks,
dewy

I don't have one myself but I've been eyeing these for a while. I have a smaller greenhouse type thing that I keep my seedlings in outdoors - it's about the size of the Hot House Jr. model but it's of metal pipe and wire construction. Pretty much the same idea, but with cheaper materials. It's very functional, nonetheless. Ultimately, I like the plastic parts used by these guys better. First on my list is to build a bird net over my adult plants though, to fend off the evil bluejays.
~Joe

Would it be good for growing VFT's, Sarrs,etc. in?

I bought something similar to the smallest one in the pictures, from Target actually, for something like $40. Several problems: it is very lightweight and needs to have a sandbag on the lowest shelf to keep it from tipping over in the wind. And the clear plastic covering is prone to tears every now and then, but they can easily be fixed with some clear packing tape. Oh, and since the clear plastic covering covers the entire structure, and most CPs I grow outside like full sun most of the day (Sarrs, VFTs, temperate sundews), the temps can get dangerously high. I solved this problem by cutting all the plastic covering from the inside of the zippered 'door' and taped in its place some tree netting to allow lots of air circulation (now the bugs can get in too, and they get trapped in the structure with the plants--feeding frenzy!!). For me, these problems have not been so bad once I fixed them. Advantages: it looks nicer than the junky stand I had outside before (so now my apartment neighbors don't give ugly looks). It also keeps the squirrels and birds out of the plants (the biggest plus).

I've been looking at these for a while. If you get one, please let us know how it works for you!

I've had much the same experience as Michael. My greenhouse would tip over every now and then, as I live on a very windy hill, but I started keeping spare jugs of water on the bottom shelf, since it doesn't get enough light for my plants as it is. It hasn't given me any trouble since. I leave the door only about 1/3 closed, so that the plastic hangs down about as far as the first shelf. Bugs fly in just fine, but when they try to find a way out they get stuck at the top and eventually succumb to the plants. I think that some Sarrs may get too tall for all but the largest of these prefab greenhouses - I only keep my S. minor in mine, because it likes the heat. Everything else is seedlings, besides a P. primuliflora and D. intermedia that's still kind of small. Aside from keeping the S. minor warm, I really just use the greenhouse to keep the birds from eating my seedlings and digging around in the pots - I discovered earlier this season that jays love to eat newly sprouted vegetable seeds, and are curious about Darlingtonia seedlings too.
~Joe

I got one similar to that for christmas. It sits indoors in front of my window. I had issues with air circulation, so I put 2 12 volt computer fans inside it to stir the air around. Also, I cut a hole in the front above the door and installed a third fan that draws fresh air in. That fan helps control the humidity. I don't know about keeping VFT's, sarrs or drosera in it however all my lowlander neps are in it and they love it. Also it keeps the cats away from my prized neps
smile_m_32.gif

that huge one thats like 60" wide is CHEAP!!!

I'm tempted to urchase one right now...

Mine is like the hot house, except I don't use the cover. It's basically just a tall thing to put my VFTs and Sarrs on top of outside. I dunno how it would work as an actual greenhouse.

I have one indoors that's 66" x 24" x 36" (H x W x D) filled with cacti and succulents (fluro fixtures attached to bottom of wire mesh racks). They love it!

I recently got another (a bit smaller) from Target....probably the same as StifflerMichael's. I'm planning to grow some CPs in (we'll see how they fare compared to those in my terraria!)

I love them, they're great.....only one drawback....the framing is partly plastic....can't put too many heavy pots on them or they'll collapse (trust me....I've learned the hard way)

Back