User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terraformed-terrarium! good or bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly advise against potting plants directly in a terraform terrarium unless you have a way to pump drain the runoff. Nutrients accumulate in such a closed system leading to eventual problems sooner or later. Use pots which can be removed and periodically flushed. I had one for 10 years and I was religious about removing all dead matter, using only distilled water, but it failed nonetheless costing me my entire collection at the time. They work initially and look great, but long term it's sure to fail. You can terraform around the pots as long as the pots do not sit in basal water and are removed and flushed regularly by top watering.
    You might be able to rig a system where the substrate sits on a raised honeycomb plastic shelf, allowing the water to drain and be removed by an aquarium pump. If you can change the water on a regular basis the pots can sit in tray water, otherwise forget it. Top watering should suffice for a pseudo-terraform arrangement, but it will require a lot of hands on attention to keep everything at the correct level of wetness. IMO, terrariums are more of a problem than a boon for most CP species: any cover even if transparent will cut the usable spectrum to a considerable degree. They are also prone to overheating. Personally I find a rack with individual pots in trays to be optimal. The more light the better. If your relative humidity is below 40% an ultrasonic humidifier can be employed. A small fan is an added plus.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx tamlin

i thought that might become a problem. I'll wait until I'm a little bit more insured before i try the terraformed, Maybe it will be a good project for when I can germinate some flowers.

thx again for the advice
    z
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my beef about racks and lights is the looks. Yeah may grow plants nice, but when I think of terraruim I;m going for looks. Just so happens that the plants also have to be cared for too. There is a terreium supply company that has dirrections on how to build a living vivarium. Realy good pictorial directions. I think something like this would work. I don't want to give a link to it since they also sell CPs and things too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12