Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another bog garden worry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just looked at the reverse osmosis systems and they dont seem to have a hose attachment. excuse my languge when i say, goddammit! why cant anything be easy for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with how reverse osmosis systems work, I just know the final product, but can't you just take the water to the plants? You don't necessarily need a hose attached to it, do you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine has been watering his CP bog garden for 2 years on tap water, with no ill effect.

He suspects the problem with using tap water may be less the mineral salts, and more the change in pH of the soil over time as tap water continues to be used, if no agent is present to maintain the acid pH of the soil.

Despite his experiences, I still wouldn't recommend it, but if you can get an inexpensive RO unit, I wouldn't worry about whether or not it has a hose bib.

Perhaps you can rig an above-ground water tank that connects to your soaker hose so that you can pour your RO water in, and it is distributed by the soaker hose to your bog garden.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man, i dident know a cp bog would be such a pain in the rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, thanks for the help but i think ive found a soulution (i hope) im useing a water conditoner and im poreing it down the hose and then flush water through it so it is sent throughout the bog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An RO system would drip constantly into a container of some sort, which is what you would water from. What you'd need to figure out is how many gallons a day you'd need (considering how much would get stored for dry days too). I have no idea what that number would be. Some RO units can be as low as $40 or $50... but they don't produce much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the water conditioner for you fish just buffers the chlorine... so I don't think it does much with the minerals.

How large is your bog?

Could you rig up a collection under a downspout for rainwater? Just try to figure the cost of potentially loosing or damaging your collection from bad water also... compared to temporarily buying RO water until you can figure something else out.

Walmart has a gallon for 50cents... not the worst.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very best deal you can get on pure water is from those machine dispensers they sometimes have at major grocery stores. The food 4 less here in cali provides 1 gallon of RO water for 25 cents each. A very good price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast