Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New terrarium/lighting setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those high power daylight CF bulbs are nice. Just screw them into a normal reflector unit.

Incandescent equivalents don't mean much since you shouldn't be using incandescent bulbs anyway. It's just a measure for every day folks when trying to replace their incandescent bulbs in their room fixtures. Plants don't see what we see anyway. A 45w warm white/softwhite bulb looks dimmer to a plant than a 45w daylight because one produces more light useable by the plant.

Many people just use plain ole 2 tube shoplight fixtures with coolwhite bulbs. They work fine but because the light is fairly diffuse from a 4 foot long 40w tube, they need to be quite close to the plants. CF bulbs are nice because you can pack more light in the same area, achieving higher light levels and allowing more space between the lights and the plants.

As for your current setup. Probably have enough light. Time will tell! Personally I would try and replace the warmwhite eventually with coolwhite/daylight/full spectrum. Some plants it would be hard to provide too much lighting from fluorescent bulbs.
    Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after reading your post Sharp I decided to go out to Home Depot and get two of the 42 watt (150 watt equivalent) warm white light bulbs. So far they seem to be working great and are definitely giving my plants more light. We'll see how the temps do tomorrow. Right now I'm using two small fans on my fixture that seem to keep things cool.

I definitely prefer the look of the warm light to the daylight. My tanks are in my room, so I like to keep the majority of the light a tone that won't drive me crazy Hopefully the warm light will suffice for my plants' growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With those 3 bulbs equal to 99W of power, I think you should get excellent results in a 10G terrarium, regardless of color spectrum. I only have a 65W in mine and all the plants are very colorful.

I personally like the daylight color temps, but I know what you mean because my mom hates them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so I'm not alone with the daylight hate!

By the way sharp, I just want to thank you (again) for always helping me out with stuff. You've been such a great help since I started posting here. You rock [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, glad to help. It's nice to be able to give something back for all the help I have received here...

-Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12