Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The bog is in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys. Beleive it or not, I was actually planning on putting some LFS over the top of the soil (thin layer), just as Scotty suggested - though I may actually have to remove some of the regular media first (it's kinda full).

As for the perlite, it's mixed in there pretty well, but it's less than a 50/50 mix...don't know why it looks so prevelent at the top. Maybe I didn't mix it in well enough. Anyway, the plants don't seem to mind.

I hopefully won't have to water it all that often, as there are only 4 1/2" drainage wholes, and they're only 3 or 4" below the soil line....and the pond is 20" deep. That leaves quite a resevoir.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, nice, very nice!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, that's going to be quite the looker once it fills in. Are you going to add any other genera, or build a little pond in it? I think some Utrics would make a nice ground cover in between the spathulata, or maybe some hardy Pings. I wish I had a yard...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful garden. I hope to do something like that soon. OK... I'm a full-blown idiot too... What does LFS stand for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bog!!

One other thing you might consider is driving a 2 inch diameter piece of black PVC pipe with a fine screen on the bottom of it down to the bottom so that you have a sort of sight glass to look down and check the water level. It also makes a convenient place to water the bog, so you are not displacing the media. You could also use it to pull water out with a syphon in the event of heavy rains to prevent the bog from overly flooding.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS is Long Fibered Sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sweet, that's going to be quite the looker once it fills in. Are you going to add any other genera, or build a little pond in it? I think some Utrics would make a nice ground cover in between the spathulata, or maybe some hardy Pings. I wish I had a yard...
    Joe, Thanks! I sure hope if fills in nicely, as that's the plan! I don't plan on a pond, though, as I don't even have enough room in there for all my sars....I don't want to limmit myself. If I run into some hardy pings or utics by chance, I'll surely put them in. I don't really plan on hunting for them, though, as those two genus aren't really my thing. I don't know where you think you see spatulata (no "h", by the way, that's the nep)...There are some very small VFT's are in there, maybe that's what you're looking at...

Quote[/b] ]One other thing you might consider is driving a 2 inch diameter piece of black PVC pipe with a fine screen on the bottom of it down to the bottom so that you have a sort of sight glass to look down and check the water level. It also makes a convenient place to water the bog, so you are not displacing the media. You could also use it to pull water out with a syphon in the event of heavy rains to prevent the bog from overly flooding.
    Jason, that's a great idea! Thanks! I will do just that.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (zappafan @ July 12 2005,1:08)]LFS is Long Fibered Sphagnum.
    AH HA! Thanks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12