What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The bog is in!

schloaty

Staff member
Hey all, no pics yet (internet is toast at home), but I will post as soon as I can.

All in all, it's a 5' by 3' bean-shaped bog, and I've populated it with various sars & vft's. Also look like there will be an invasion of D. rotundifolia, but that's fine with me!

No stream running near it?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
I'm looking forward to the pictures! What happened to the Internet?

He posted about it in the general sections of the forum. Norton messed it up. :/

Finally!

MB1.jpg

MB2.jpg

As you can see, I haven't bordered it with stone yet, but that will have to wait until I can find sufficient stone...

Wow, nice. A lot of perlite up in there... Hope you wont haveto water it too often. Man, is there that much perlite throughout the whole tub?

Very nice.

nice!
I would suggest putting a thin layer of LFS over the whole thing, just to cover up the peat and perlite.
that way, in heavy rain, the peat and perlite wont splash all over and make a muddy mess..
the LFS "seals" the bog, makes it look nice, and keeps the peat and perlite down underneath where it belongs..
Scot

Thanks, guys. Beleive it or not, I was actually planning on putting some LFS over the top of the soil (thin layer), just as Scotty suggested - though I may actually have to remove some of the regular media first (it's kinda full).

As for the perlite, it's mixed in there pretty well, but it's less than a 50/50 mix...don't know why it looks so prevelent at the top. Maybe I didn't mix it in well enough. Anyway, the plants don't seem to mind.

I hopefully won't have to water it all that often, as there are only 4 1/2" drainage wholes, and they're only 3 or 4" below the soil line....and the pond is 20" deep. That leaves quite a resevoir.

Nice, nice, very nice!

Sweet, that's going to be quite the looker once it fills in. Are you going to add any other genera, or build a little pond in it? I think some Utrics would make a nice ground cover in between the spathulata, or maybe some hardy Pings. I wish I had a yard...
~Joe

Beautiful garden. I hope to do something like that soon. OK... I'm a full-blown idiot too... What does LFS stand for?

Nice looking bog!!

One other thing you might consider is driving a 2 inch diameter piece of black PVC pipe with a fine screen on the bottom of it down to the bottom so that you have a sort of sight glass to look down and check the water level. It also makes a convenient place to water the bog, so you are not displacing the media. You could also use it to pull water out with a syphon in the event of heavy rains to prevent the bog from overly flooding.

JJ

LFS is Long Fibered Sphagnum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sweet, that's going to be quite the looker once it fills in. Are you going to add any other genera, or build a little pond in it? I think some Utrics would make a nice ground cover in between the spathulata, or maybe some hardy Pings. I wish I had a yard...
Joe, Thanks!  I sure hope if fills in nicely, as that's the plan!  I don't plan on a pond, though, as I don't even have enough room in there for all my sars....I don't want to limmit myself. If I run into some hardy pings or utics by chance, I'll surely put them in.  I don't really plan on hunting for them, though, as those two genus aren't really my thing.  I don't know where you think you see spatulata (no "h", by the way, that's the nep)...There are some very small VFT's are in there, maybe that's what you're looking at...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]One other thing you might consider is driving a 2 inch diameter piece of black PVC pipe with a fine screen on the bottom of it down to the bottom so that you have a sort of sight glass to look down and check the water level.  It also makes a convenient place to water the bog, so you are not displacing the media.  You could also use it to pull water out with a syphon in the event of heavy rains to prevent the bog from overly flooding.

Jason, that's a great idea!  Thanks!  I will do just that.

Back