What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right light

Yes, that would work great. Must be a big terrarium though with lights that long! Or perhaps I'm just used to having smaller terraria
smile_n_32.gif

I've read were some people will use 1 cool white and 1 warm light in there fixtures.

Depends what your growing and the growing situation. IE are the tubes the sole source oflight, are they supplimenting sunlight, how close to the plants are they etc. Most CP's are bright indirect light - full sun. 2 regular fluorescent tubes is barely enough for most if there are no other sources of light. You might consider looking into the 65w+ daylight compact fluorescent bulbs.

Tony

Dang... mine are doing pretty good with one tube.

Just curious FlytrapGurl: How many watts is your one tube and what plants are you growing under it?

Okay I'm finally understanding this light stuff. Please bare and help me. *lol*

I've been going everywhere searching lights for my terrarium. I just have a 10gal with Sundews. Currently I have a GrowLight on it and a Daylight bulb and it's near a window. I know, I know, "cool lights are cheaper than growlights they arnt special". But the cool ones for some odd reason are $7 here and the Grow one was only $5. The reason I showed the 48" one, b/c thoses were cheap and the fixture for it is $3. I thought $7 would be a good deal for it. But then again those are huge. How many watts/lumens should be per gal/plant? I only have a few Sundews. And currently just LanceLeaf.

What 'exactly' do you use? Lights/GalTerrarium/Plants? What would you suggest for me?

Like I say, everywhere I research, oh cool white long bulbs good and cheap. Well, I looked at a 2 foot fixture that I could hang above my tank and the bulb for just one cool white was $9! And everywhere I read people say it's like $1-$2! I was so confused shopping. *lol* I just got me a growlight.

D. adelae doesn't need much light at all. you could grow it in a fishbowl in a bathroom windowsill if you wanted. point being they don't need much light at all.

i use exactly 440 watts of vho about over a standard 75 gal terrarium (18in/48in/?in) i've got everything in there. drosera, nepenthes, cephalotus, utricularia, etc

it still isn't enough light IMO to make great dew-laden plants, other than D. adelae.

LG, I have a pot of D. adelae, a N. ventricosa and a P. primuliflora. And I'll probably never rediscover what the wattage is... lemme look...

Nope, don't know how many watts. Can't find the box and it doesn't say on the bulb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tink @ July 10 2005,12:32)]How many watts/lumens should be per gal/plant?
Anyone?

that doesn't matter. it's about intensity, spectrum, and distance.

ex, alot of watts of fluorescent won't too much good if they are too far from the plants.

Most of my plants are under banks of 4-8 tubes and kept as close as possible with nothing in between the tubes and the plants. The idea is to hit them with a LOT of light, and it works.

Also remember tubes age and are ineffective after about 8-9 months.

Sorry those are totally useless ways to measure light. Lux is a measure of light intensity falling on a surface but you would need a meter to measure it. That is without even getting too deep into the amount of light a bulb produces that is beneficial to the plant. Putting it simply only a portion of the light is used by the plant for photosynthesis. Depending on the bulb it can be quite large or quite small or somewhere in between. Then you have to factor the kind of lightbulb and the wattage and the distance to the plants etc etc etc...

If your using just regular 4' shoplights then your best bet is to use as many as you can fit over your terrarium. Try and stick with coolwhite/daylight bulbs also.

Back