Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a terrarium (aquarium) size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the vast majority of what you want to grow doesnt need terrariums if you dont want them. i grow 80% of my collection in open trays under flourecent lights on shelves. all my Drosera, and most of my Utrics are on the shelves. most terrestrial Utrics grow so close to the soil that humidity isnt a problem, U. reniformis is an exception. since it is taller growing it requires more humidity. most Drosera care more about light than humidity. my D. capensis and the like survived out 20% humidity winter just fine in open trays. infact to much humidity without proper air circulation causes problems. you can grow VFT under lights i have one doing wonderfully under flourecent lights. its not ideal but you can get colorful compact venus flytraps under flourecent lights. Mexi-Pings do fine in lower humidity also

i see you are mainly worried about your cockatiels tearing up your plants. so i guess terrariums are a good option. i just wanted to let yah know most of what your going to grow will not need the saturated enviroment of a closed terrara. i would use screen tops for better air circulation. good luck!
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice on the screen top instead of an acrylic top. I'm getting my terrarium on Wednesday (assuming our plans don't fall through) and will get a screen top then too. In fact, I think I'll call right now to see if they have them in stock.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LLeopardGGecko,

Yeah, I just threw in some bagged LFS into the bottom and kept it wet and after a few months, it's green. This keeps the algae largely at bay.

rattler_mt,

You just described my project in the works. A nice 4-shelf grow rack that I'm going to use for some pings, sundews and neps. It'll be much more efficient space-wise.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And where did you get live stuff? I seem to only be able to find dead stuff...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't alive, it was "dead." LFS contains spores which readily germinate under appropriate conditions.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, my mistake. I always assumed that LFS stood for "Live Sphagnum Moss." Don't know why, probably just because I'm an idiot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Do they sell LFS at Home Depot? Also, can the spores that germinate turn the whole bottom of the terrarium into bright, lively moss? Man would that be a nice look!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have live LFS. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12