Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time ordering plants bareroot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not neccesary but way helpful. i suggest something under the soil like those clay balls covered my garden cloth then soil for extra drainage.

i don't think it matters what order. it seems easier to add lfs first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I add mine last. Plant the plant, then rip up the LFS as small as I can with my hands. Then I mist the LFS to make it wet and push it down.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dido to what's been said, with an added caution that you should monitor your newly-potted bare-root plants very carefully and often for the first two weeks (every day). Being bare rooted usually shocks them and makes them more prone to root and stem rot. These can't always be cured but if you catch it in time, you have a better chance of fighting it and changing conditions.

You should buy Captan fungicide (an excellent remedy for fighting early fungal infections) or sulfur powder (I haven't used this, but some find it helpful).

Good luck growing.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where would I buy this Captain Fungacide?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At your local nursery. Alternatively, you can use Cleary or Banrot, which are sold on this site. I've only used fungicide to prevent rot on newly planted bareroot plants or, recently, to prevent damping off of seeds.

If your mature plants get infected after their transition period, apply the fungicide as needed but also examine their environment and make the necessary changes. Fungal infections usually arise from excessive humidity with poor air circulation and/or on plants that are weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang I can't seem to find peat moss or perlite anywhere! If I find it, it's the Scott's brand and someone in this thread said I should stay away from the brand. I don't know what to do, since my bareroot plants are coming tomorrow! Ahhhhhhhh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Scotts peat and perlite for the past two years on my CPs (and for several years before that for my other plants) without issues.

If your still concerned, try buying another brand; however, if it comes down to Scotts or keeping your plants bareroot, choose the former! Same applies to watering--if pure water cannot be found and your CP is parched, its ok (and probably better) to give it some tap water once or twice than to let it dehydrate.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks Chloroplast! Very good to know that Scott's is an ok brand to use. I'll shoot over to Home Depot tomorrow and nab a few bags before my little plants get here. Thanks again, you're a life saver!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast