What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time ordering plants bareroot

I'm putting together two small 2.5 gallon terrariums (classic style) where I'll be planting all Drosera (getting them bareroot from Cook's). The thing is, I've always ordered potted plants and kept them that way once I got them, never replanting. So I have some questions:

1) Is there a proper technique in doing this? I don't want to hurt my plants!

2) Is 1 part peat moss, one part perlite the best mix for the following Drosera:
-adelae
-capensis
-aliciae
-spatulata

3) Where can I find perlite and peat moss? I ordered some from Sarracenia Northwest, but they haven't shipped it yet due to that fact that they've been moving their nursery. This means I'm going to have to go find some at a store. So far I've checked Lowe's, and all they had was sphagnum moss. Where can I find the stuff I need?

4) As far as spacing the plants out in the two terrariums, should I keep them pretty far apart to allow for growth, or should I just plant them any way I want?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Just do the same thing you would do with any other plant. Fill the two terrariums up with your mix. I'd suggest a minimum of 4 inch depth since you will not be repotting these all the time. Then with your finger make a hole big enough to fit the roots in. Hold the plant with one hand, place the roots in the hole. With the other hand move the dirt completely around the roots. Push all around it so that the hole is filled and the media is compressed around it. You should now just have the crown and the rest of the plant above the surface. If there are still roots showing, then place some more media around it.

50/50 pete/perlite is a good mix, but if you use this I'd suggest using a top layer of ripped up LFS. Otherwise the perlite will float up to the top from the water. Another option is 50/50 pete/sand, but I myself use perlite. I haven't messed with sand because IMO I keep on thinking of the mess it is to use it.

Hey LLGG,

I'm actually surprised no one's hit this up earlier today, but i'm sure someone will fall behind and give fuller details for you. Let's see what I can do for now though.

1.) There is no true proper technique for potting them up, just like a lot of other things you'll find. What works for some most likely won't work for others. To be really general about it, you simply setup your media in the tank with an idea of where you'd like the plants to go. Usually they would be on some sort of "hill" or incline to allow for some sort of drainage. Then simply just make a hole with a finger, pencil, whatever you got, big enough of course for the roots to fit into without having to crush them or force them, put a little more media around the base of the plant and water it into place. Personally I tend to use a very small spray bottle to "mist" the media into place around the roots.

2.) Again, there really is no best that anyone has come up with yet. Something's work better than others to other growers out there. But that mixture seems to be the basis of it all and those plants should grow fine in it.

3.) Peat moss (Sphagnum Peat) and perlite should be readily available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, any and every store that really has a gardening section. I know a few of the grocery stores in my area even have the two in the floral section. Peat moss itself is hopefully sphagnum. What you saw in Lowe's was most likely the right stuff. Just stay away from Scott's and Miracle Gro brands. Anything that has an extra growth aid or wetting agent you really want to stay away from. We're just looking for straight sphagnum peat moss.

4.) You could definately plant them any way you like, but keep in mind that D. spatulata and D. aliciae tend to be clump forming rosette's, so you might want to give them some space to spread out.

ive never had luck with D. adelae in anything except for pure LFS.

What is LFS?

LFS = Long Fibered Sphagnum

D. adelae does seem to like a more open and draining soil. High humidity usually seems to be the case as well.

Thanks for all the replies guys
smile.gif
It's all really helping out.

Vertigo, you suggested putting in a hill to promote drainage. Is this neccessary, or can I keep everything flat?

Oh, and another thing: Should I put the LFS on as top dressing before or after I put the plants into the soil?

not neccesary but way helpful. i suggest something under the soil like those clay balls covered my garden cloth then soil for extra drainage.

i don't think it matters what order. it seems easier to add lfs first.

I add mine last. Plant the plant, then rip up the LFS as small as I can with my hands. Then I mist the LFS to make it wet and push it down.

Dido to what's been said, with an added caution that you should monitor your newly-potted bare-root plants very carefully and often for the first two weeks (every day).  Being bare rooted usually shocks them and makes them more prone to root and stem rot.  These can't always be cured but if you catch it in time, you have a better chance of fighting it and changing conditions.

You should buy Captan fungicide (an excellent remedy for fighting early fungal infections) or sulfur powder (I haven't used this, but some find it helpful).

Good luck growing.

At your local nursery. Alternatively, you can use Cleary or Banrot, which are sold on this site. I've only used fungicide to prevent rot on newly planted bareroot plants or, recently, to prevent damping off of seeds.

If your mature plants get infected after their transition period, apply the fungicide as needed but also examine their environment and make the necessary changes. Fungal infections usually arise from excessive humidity with poor air circulation and/or on plants that are weak.

Dang I can't seem to find peat moss or perlite anywhere! If I find it, it's the Scott's brand and someone in this thread said I should stay away from the brand. I don't know what to do, since my bareroot plants are coming tomorrow! Ahhhhhhhh!

I've used Scotts peat and perlite for the past two years on my CPs (and for several years before that for my other plants) without issues.

If your still concerned, try buying another brand; however, if it comes down to Scotts or keeping your plants bareroot, choose the former! Same applies to watering--if pure water cannot be found and your CP is parched, its ok (and probably better) to give it some tap water once or twice than to let it dehydrate.

Good luck.

Ah, thanks Chloroplast! Very good to know that Scott's is an ok brand to use. I'll shoot over to Home Depot tomorrow and nab a few bags before my little plants get here. Thanks again, you're a life saver!

No problem.

Just make sure to sterilize it before use (a few min in the microwave or longer in the oven). Otherwise, you might set yourself up for a fungal infection.

You may also want to "rinse" the peat before using. I've never done this and my plants seem to be ok, but there are MUCH more experienced CP growers here who swear by it (e.g., Tamlin Dawnstar). It supposedly removes some harmful substances within the peat mixture. If you want a VERY detailed description of how to do it, go to the general discussion forum and look for the appropriately named topic (recent).

Glad I could be of some help.

smile_m_32.gif

Back