Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cp newbie, terrarium help wanted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you will have lighting issues out on your deck as well. Most CP's appreciate very bright light with many enjoying a fair bit of direct sun.

On to lighting..
    Compact fluorescent is a great way to go. I would spring for the daylight type. Warm white/soft white is not considered the ideal for plant growth. You can buy them now upwards of 135w, although they get to be quite large at that power. For a 20g tank your probably fine with a couple 45w or an 85 or so. Might even get away with one of those Fluorex 65w 6500k fixtures from Homedepot. They are meant for using as outdoors security/flood lights but are real handy for using over terrariums. They need to be wired up though as they don't come with a cord and plug.

You could even just buy a couple CF (compact fluorescent) bulbs and just screw them into desk lamps or clip on reflector lamps or something. If you were not looking for fancy.

Couple links so you can get an idea on items.

85w 6500k/daylight compact fluorescent with medium base (standard incandescent size)
    abc bulbs

The Fluorex outdoor security light. With 65w 6500k compact fluorescent bulb
    lights of america / fluorex

Lowes also carries something similar but it's made by Regent instead... if I recall.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the pictures I promised:

Here's the inside of the first 10 gallon tank:

Here's the inside of the second 10 gallon tank:

Here's a shot of both of them from afar:

Here's the inside of my 5 gallon Nep tank:

The same tank, only far away:

Finally, a shot of my "Classic" terrariums (2.5 gallons each), where I have several sundews (newly) planted in peat and perlite:

Hope you enjoy! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome ping!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, thank you very much [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Although I can't take complete credit for it. I recently got it from Sarracenia Northwest. How bout' I take a little credit though, for not killing it yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Aug. 01 2005,10:00)]Here's the pictures I promised:
    Thanks for taking the time to get and post the photos. Looks like you've got a nice collection of healthy plants going. Do you have trays under the pots in your 10-gal tanks, or are you watering straight to the tank bottom? It looks like you have a couple of plastic tubes taped to the back--for siphoning out excess water? Could you post the brand and model of the light hoods you have on your tanks?

A friend offered me his unused 30-gal aquarium (with stand), but I think it would be too big for my apartment. Still tempting though.

I was browsing the forums a bit tonight (on somebody else's slow dial-up---ughh!), and found mention of the FluoreX floodlight fixture found at home centers. Lots of folks seem to like them, and they look compact. Just would need to make a support to hold it over the tank. I wonder if one is sufficient for a 10-gallon. Perhaps the fixture is a bit compact for casting the light fully within the tank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A FluoreX is easily bright enough for a 10 gallon. Also, as a fixture, it does have parts for mounting it. You could probably attach it to a wall just behind the tank or something and the arm would probably reach out far enough to put it right over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the hood I use for my 10 gallons

They sell three different sizes, but if you are interested in this, then get the 24 inch. It fits very nicely over a 10 gallon tank (I just rest them right on top of the tank, nothing in between the lights and the plants).

As far as water goes, I do water directly into the bottom of the tank. I have the bottom lined with sphagnum moss to cut down on algae. The tubes you see lead to an air pump that keeps the water in the bottom of the tank full of air and circulating.

By the way...

Here's the smaller hood I use for my 5 gallon and my 2.5 gallons

Just in case you want something to fit a smaller tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12