What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What shouldn't i put in here?

Hey guys,

Setting up a growspace for some plants, trying to figure out if there's anything (besides ultra-highland and very true highlands I guess) that I shouldn't stick into this tank?

Temps:
Lights on- max 92-95f
Lights off- min 72f (when ac's on or a pretty cool night)

Lighting:
65w Fluorex (for now, figure if i can get them cheaper i'll toss a lot more on)

Humidity:
Soon to be whatever I like via ultrasonic fogger

I figure i can cool the day temps down some if i run the fogger in some cool water, night temps could always get warmer if i needed. Switched to a screen top as opposed to glass or plastic for air movement, humidity fixed with fogger.

So if the temps get that high during the day (which they always get at least a drop into the very low 80f's if not the upper 70f's), what shouldn't i try to grow in here?

Aside from highland neps, I'd also stay away from heliamphora (with the exception of H. heterodoxa x minor), cephalotus, and some of the temperate pings/dews. The temperatures are probably too hot for them, even with high humidity.

I'm just realizing that these temps are getting hotter now for some reason. I'm going to have to vent it out and keep the humidity up. Last night before I turned the lights out the temps were getting up to almost 100f. Normally I had them hovering at just over 86f, guess i should uncover the lid a little more. Didn't realize how hot these fluorex lights actually got.

Overheating can be a nasty issue. Unfortunately, opening the lid also makes the tank's humidity equilibrate with the environment, which negates a big reason people use terraria (to keep high humidity). Your best bet is to keep the back of the tank open during the day and close it at night just before the light turns off (and open it again the next morning). This way, your plants will get a nice refreshing dose of high humidity at night.

Fortunately, most CPs don't require extreme humidity and can survive quite well at typical home levels (40-60%; you'll need a humidifier to keep it this high in winter if you heat your home).

For these reasons, I've been gradually moving most of my CPs to grow racks surrounded by a plastic lining lined with aluminum foil. Lighting levels are just as high, overheating is never an issue, and best of all.....you can grow as many plants on a 2' wide x 2' deep x 5' high rack as you can in 4 20gal long terrariums! I keep the front open so i can look at my plants as I walk by....but if the light-levels are ever an issue, you can just zipper down the flap in the front.

By the end of this summer, I'll only have a single 20gal long terrarium which will house my heliamphora, ultra-highland neps and miscellanous tropical plants requiring very high nocturnal humidity....the others (55, 30 and 10 gal) will have been deconstructed.

Don't want to discourage you from keeping your terrarium....just presenting an alternative that would solve the 100F overheating. But a terrarium that is properly setup is definitely more aesthetically pleasing....it all depends on what you want.

Good luck.

Back