Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For smaller plants I feed them freeze dried bloodworms. Bigger guys get freeze dried crickets. I have found that if you feed them freeze dried food you reduce the amount of fungus in the terrarium. Also you don't have to worry about live bugs somehow escaping and running around your room. My terrarium is in my bedroom and after wakeing up a few times with crickets crawling in my bed I switched to freeze dried food. So what are you gonna plant in it?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about the live food [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very artisitc and informative website, Mitch. Makes me wish I had a digital camera and more knowledge of webpage design.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris and welcome to the forums! As a possible issue someday, you will want to be cognizant of handling mold. But I'm sure the terrarium growers will help you along with air circulation, lighting, and troubleshooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the compliment chloroplast [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Like I said, it's not quite finished, but when it is, I'll post it here so everyone can take a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mitch, copcarfc, jimscott, thanks again for the advice. I guess knowing what to feed the CPs wont be the hardest part about this project... lol. Today i stopped at a local OSH (orchard supply house or something like that) and i bought a digital clock/thermometer/humidity-meter thing. It has a detachable cord with a little sensor at the end so i thought i wouldnt have to put the whole thing in my tank but it turns out the sensor only does temp lol so watever. Im still looking around for the best solution to the questions of base layer (drainage) material and substrate material. If you all have ever had a terrarium somewhat like iv described, what do you use?

Oh, and im still debating about which plants to use but most likely ill go with some bright nepenthes species as my feature plant, probably like two of the same kind. Maybe one of those sundews or whatever you call them (lol sorry im not an expert on this stuff). The rest of the tank would consist of bromelaids and more common-looking plants like creepers, maybe mosses near the bottom, who knows. Trust me, if you highly suggest planting something in my terrarium i will probably do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, about lighting, the fixture i bought for the two 20V 2ft flourescents was like 20 bucks. will this be necessary if i want to use two more bulbs? OH, and i havnt quite figured out how im going to turn this light ON.. lol.. it has to be wired.. suggestions will be accepted and in exchange you will receive my first born child.:laugh:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Lowes and you can get a big bag of gravel for like $3 bucks but make sure you wash it. As far as plants I would put live LFS in there because it will run crazy and cover the bottom. I think it looks cool too.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast