Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS? remember, im a complete beginner with this growing plants thing.. lol..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LFS=Long Fibered Sphagnum moss. It's used for top dressing a lot of times with carnivorous plants and is great to use on the top of your terrarium soil.

Personally, I use a bottom layer of perlite on all of my "classic" terrariums (the one like you're doing with the plants planted directly into the bottom of the tank). It has worked great for me so far, so I recommend it.

You can buy bags of perlite and long fibered sphagnum moss at Home Depot or Lowe's. If you want LIVE sphagnum moss you'll probably have to order that online. Keep in mind that the live stuff will grow and cover your terrarium bottom pretty nicely, but it's much more expensive and harder to find. The not LIVE stuff is just as good for ground cover, but just don't expect too much growth out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome now i know what LFS is hahah. i see, so perlite or pebbles or whatever as long as it has room for water and doesnt mold up is good for the base layer? I am still looking for answers about the soil itself. I want a soil that will keep my plants looking sexy but not overgrown (the glass tank doesnt grow lol). Oh and i have these awesome snails all around (outside) my house, do u think they would compliment a CP-having terrarium or would the snails/plants end up trying to eat each other?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, perlite or WASHED pebbles are fine. I did read somewhere that if you use any kind of rock other than perlite, you should check if it's ok for CPs by putting one of the rocks in vinegar and seeing if it fizzes. If it doesn't, you can use the pebbles. If it does, then you have to find something else. I'm sure if you buy them from a fish supply store or somewhere similar they'll be fine, but I'm not positive on that so maybe someone else can shed some light on it. I say just use perlite [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

A good soil mix for sundews is half perlite/half peat, and the mix for Nepenthes is one part perlite/one part sphagnum/one part peat. Not sure about your other plants, so you'll probably have to do pockets of different soil mixes in your terrarium.

As far as the snails go, I say no. The chances are good they'll just end up eating your plants, which is never a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay so i shopped around home depot, OSH, and a couple other places, and i havnt been able to find perlite. theyr always sold out or have huuuuge bags of it, but ill find some. what exactly is all this sphagnum business?? i see bags labeled "green moss". is this the non-live LFS that u are talking about? it looks like the stuff on most peoples pics. but it looks ugly.. my goal is to have a very attractive/natural terrarium, not just to grow plants. i got some peat (i think) and it says something about sphagnum moss peat?? WTF?? what is the deal with all this sphagnum shmagnum wagnum moss?? so what is one part perlite/ one part peat/ one part sphagnum anyways? is the sphagnum that brownish yellowish greenish mossish stuff? mann.. this is the hardest project of my life and i havnt even started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahaha, just chill [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

First of all, when you're looking for long-fibered sphagnum moss, the kind I buy comes in smallish blocks in bags. It should say sphagnum moss right on the front. As far as it being ugly, you're pretty much correct. Unless it's live sphagnum moss (the expensive hard to find stuff) it's just a brown color. Just remember that it's just as good as the live stuff and over time some of the spores in it could germinate and the moss will grow.

As far as peat goes, you got the right stuff. It's sometimes called sphagnum peat. When you see soil mixes referred to as one part this, one part that, think of it as handfuls of that part of the soil. So for every one handful of perlite you put in, put in one handful of sphagnum moss, etc. I hope that makes sense.

Don't give up! It's hard at first but you'll get the hang of things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol thanks. yea i know about volume ratios and stuff, dont worry. i might be 17 but im smart haha. i just wasnt sure what all the ingredients were actually supposed to be. they seem to have secret identities and stuff hahah. okay so, i got the peat, i need the perlite and i need the ugly moss that says sphagnum moss on it. i dont even really know how to pronounce that. sfagnum, basically? lol anyways, i have some fiberglass (not metal) screen stuff to put between the two layers to keep them from mixing cus i read that somwhere. oh and is activated charcoal some special kinda charcoal? can i just sprinkle some from the grill?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] anyways, continue to guide me on my quest.

signing off, frodo baggins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wasn't implying that you were dumb by explaining the soil ratios, I just thought that's what you needed to know.

I really have no clue about the charcoal since I've never attempted to use it in my terrariums. I'm sure someone else here can tell you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast