Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okie dokie smokey, so i have a base layer of 100% perlite (which i bought at WALMART by the way lolol), and a soil layer of something close to 1:1 peat and perlite. the soil appears to be easily deep enough for sundews n stuff, ill be building the more airy, higher section of the terrarium in the near future. i got the lighting fixture to work properly, thanks to a walmart wiring extension cord thing and some electrical tape. oh and i washed the tank out with hot soapy water before i did anything so i could get a "clean" start. hardy har har.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking back on your earlier posts, you may need brighter lights. Home Depot sells compact fluorescent bulbs with high wattages - many terrarium growers use these for light with much success. You don't need special spectrum bulbs like grow-bulbs or sunlight bulbs. Just get some cool white and warm white (mix them) at the highest wattage you can safely put in your lamps. Those fancy bulbs may help a little, but most growers don't notice any difference except the price. Just get some high-wattage fluorescents and you should be good to start.
    So far as feeding goes, your plants can attract plenty of bugs from the recesses of your house, but if you feel inclined you can buy the food that Rail and Mitch mentioned. Just no people food, at least not until you know what you're doing (meat doesn't work but you'd be surprised to know what does.) I just keep all of my plants near the kitchen and a poorly screened window, so they get lots of bugs whenever I'm lax about taking out the garbage.
    For your mix, you might want to top things off with dried LFS and peat and sand (quartz or silica - look for reptile bedding sand) in equal parts, because perlite will rise to the top of the mix when you water it if there isn't something on top of it to hold it down, and it will become ugly and algae-infested. The soil for your Neps should be something like perlite and dried LFS in equal parts - I usually add some peat and a generous amount of orchid bark too.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweetness, good info man thanks, ill be checking back here as my construction continues. my bottom layer has a windowscreen cut to the size of the tank on top of it so the perlite doesnt mix in with the soil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey, do u have to "wet" the peat and clean the perlite before using them?? no one tell me these things and i am a major noob.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They say you're supposed to rinse it out, but I haven't found it necessary with my potted plants. I mean, it's all the same stuff anyways - all you do by rinsing is knock out the smallest particles in the mix. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I suppose you could scoop stuff out and rinse it still, before you've planted.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright, anyways i figure this first attempt will most likely be somewhat of a failure. but i will definitely learn a great deal from it and it is probably a necessary step towards what i hope is going to be a good CP-growing hobby inspired especially BY YOU GUYS HERE. so thank you yall at these forums for either giving me feedback or simply by existing and having this place up and running. ill post back at a later date to let you know how my successes and failures have come along

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I don't know about the window screen to seperate the drainage layer... Are you sure it wont restrict water from getting to the drainage layer? How dense is it? I would test it first to see if it might rust. Be carefull with that stuff a good thick layer of LFS will keep it down.

-Rail
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the screens fine, im sure. it isnt metal, its like plastic but they call it fiberglass. and the holes are plenty big for water to drain through, but ill test it anyways thanks