What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New terrarium

BREAKING NEWS!! within minutes, ALL the dews started producing MORE DEW! im not joking, the change happened extremely fast. and now 2 hours later they seem completely changed plants. this new light is extremely bright hahaha.. thanks guys, ill let ya know how it goes.

I have two of those 42 watt bulbs on one of my 10 gallons and they put out a crazy amount of light. Glad to hear that your sundews are liking it!

Congratulations, Chris! The plants have turned the corner!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Nov. 06 2005,1:31)]I have two of those 42 watt bulbs on one of my 10 gallons and they put out a crazy amount of light. Glad to hear that your sundews are liking it!
LLeopardGGecko, if you are using 2 of those bulbs on a 10gal would it be safe to use 3 of them on a 20gal?

Takahashi, thats awsome to here that your plants are doing much better since you added more light..
smile.gif
How much did this type of bulb run in the store?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LLeopardGGecko, if you are using 2 of those bulbs on a 10gal would it be safe to use 3 of them on a 20gal?

Yeah, it would be safe, as long as you can keep your terrarium from baking your plants. Those 42 watt bulbs can get pretty hot!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] How much did this type of bulb run in the store?

I think my 42 watt bulbs ran me about 10 bucks a bulb at Home Depot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 06 2005,9:08)]How much did this type of bulb run in the store?
About 10 dollars. it hurts my eyes its so bright.

Thanks guys much apreciated. Now how far above the terrarium should the bulbs be if i have a open top?? If i have a half coverd top seems they would need to be further away right? Im not using any bulbs that put out heat right now for my sundews or my VFTs there under flourescent at this time temp for the dews is at 75 and humidity is 78% and there growing like crazy, the VFTs is the same temp with 75% hum. and there going nuts as well even though there supose to be sleeping..LOL!!

You can keep those bulbs a good several inches above the top of the terrarium.

I'm just curious about your VFTs. Have you lessened the photoperiod for them so that they will know it's dormancy time or are you skipping dormancy with them this year?

well from what everyone sugested i should hold off till around december or later then put them thru dormancy due to they came from walmart plus needed to be transplanted and they were in pretty sad shape & tiny. There lights are on from 8am till 9pm but i will start lessening there light around Thanksgiving and also lower the temp then come Jan. shoot for complete dormancy if you think this is what i should do? They started out with tiny low lying traps and are now producing large standing up traps.

I think you should do what everyone was saying. Just skip the dormancy for now and let them get strong.

smile.gif
Thanks LLeopardGGecko... Your input is greatly apreciated..
smile_m_32.gif

Back