Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alllrighty, so the terrarium is up and running.. minus the CPs.. hahah.. the temp is around 77 degrees and the humidity is hovering at about 74%. how am i doing? the soil is simply peat and perlite.. almost a 50/50 mix. what will grow successfully in here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you want to put in there? Depending on the plants you may have to raise/lower temp/humidity. Also what is your night time temp and humidity?

-Rail
    My life sucks

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time of day did you take those measurements, Chris? Nepenthes vary in what kind of night/daytime conditions they like. If your temperature drops significantly each night (10+F difference) then you should grow highland Neps, which come from montane environments where the nighttime temperature is lower and the humidity is higher. If the temp stays the same, then lowlanders are for you. Lowlanders live in hot, humid jungle-like environments that hold in heat well at night and have little variance between day and night conditions. If you don't have the conditions for the plants you want, you can heat the terrarium to grow lowlanders, or air condition/humidify at night to grow highlanders. There are great plants in either classification, though, so it's easiest to just go with whatever will do well in your terrarium without fancy add-ons like heaters and such.
    As far as other CPs, any common tropical CP stands a decent chance with your conditions. D. prolifera, schizandra and adelae are particularly well suited for terrarium life and you should try them. Pinguicula lusitanica is a weed in most collections and is another good place to start. Tropical Utricularia would also be well suited, maybe something like U. calcyfida (I don't know the Utrics that well - I'm sure there are more options available as far as bladderworts go.) Do watch out for those Utrics, though; there are some, like U. sandersonii and subulata, that will have no trouble taking over your entire terrarium and make life hard for low-growing plants like Pinguicula and Drosera. The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato has a nice list of plants that are good for the terrarium.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweeeeeeeet, u guys are crucial. ill take more recordings over the next day or so and find out what my day time and night time heat and humidity really are. i want droseras. they look sah-weeeeeet. Nepths are kinda big eh? ill probably have one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps can get big, but they can be kept small if you get the right species and can bear to prune it back. Take a look at BobZ's CP photo finder to get a feel for what the genus Drosera has to offer, then do a search for the species or ask here to find out what kind of conditions they like. Those three I mentioned offer a nice contrast of leaf shapes, and they're kind of large and showy too.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TELL'EM JOE!!!!!!!!!!!! And that ain't all. There are many species that love year round warm conditions, and will thrive for you as you get better at growing them. Lots to read and learn, and a CP society to find and communicate with! Do all you can to learn as much as you can, and be prepared for some occasional suprises as your plants sometimes do things they are not supposed to. Like a VFT flowering in late September when they are supposed to do that in May and June. How to pollinate your babies and get copious seed. And growing everything you want to try successfully through much trial and error. Glad you are here!

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed, you are the bomb-diggity-doo. I am definitely stoked about this whole CP-growing adventure that iv already begun. my classic style terrarium is looking pretty SAH-WEEEET as of right now... minus having any CPs in it. hahaha. Its a pretty tall tank so itll have a "hill" in the back for a nep with airy, less waterlogged soil, and then different levels of soil for more or less watery, bright, etc. conditions. I'll let you all know how badly i mess this up with each day. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] oh and thanks so much to all of you that have contributed your efforts to my... efforts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it says so right in my title, Bugs; I save children.
    Anyways, Chris, did you ever get those other measurements?
    ~Joe

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast