Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: New terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ehhhhm, well honestly im being pretty stingy with my distilled water supply so i dont really want to go all out with the terrarium until i get the CPs. ill just have to work at it really fast once i get the plants in to get the right levels. and yes, i will have trials and errors galore, i know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen of the TerraForums, I have finally started my adventures in CP-land with this newbie style classic terrarium. The drainage layer is pure perlite and the substrate is a mix of peat and perlite, with a little LFS in there. The humidity n temp are monitored by the little white thing on the left side, and the plastic cup is there to monitor the water level and so i can siphon some out if necessary (ok so theres an aquatic utric in there right now but he'll be moved soon). I have currently growing live LFS, 5 different terrestrial utrics, and 6 different drosera. We shall see who will survive to become adults and who will die as a shipping-shocked seedling. Advice is appreciated.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's more pics? You should think about getting some mylar or foil reflectors - mylar over white cardboard works well - and line the back and sides of the tank to increase the effective lighting. A hood for that light might not hurt either, if you can get one. Make sure to allow for ventilation. What is that light anyways?
    You might think of adding a ventilation fan sometime in the future, but it's probably not yet necessary.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you want more pics?? i got em! the plants are doing fairly well, i had to keep them out of much light for the first couple of days to acclimate them, but a few plants have put out new leaves with dew so im hopeful. heres the setup with reflective paper on the back and sides (on the outside.)

lol, and my lil thermo/hydro checker:

and finally, the label for the reflective wrap that i bought at party city! its really good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay guys, so its been a little while since i started growing my little droserae and utrics (and little pings) in my terrarium. theres good growth coming from all plants, no doubt about that, but i noticed that my sundews are looking pitifully pitiful. I know they are lacking light but i wonder if anything else could be wrong. At first when they put out new leaves, dew was apparent, but now im not so sure. theres tons of new leaves but all green and weird and practicallly dew-less. i need some input. gracias. muchas gracias, my friends.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they just lacking dew, or do they grow without tentacles altogether? The latter is often a sign of a coming aphid infestation. Are the leaves at all deformed?
    If you know the light is inadaquate, fix that first and then worry about other stuff. Light is to plants as food is to animals; it's a very important factor in growing, possibly the most important. You'll almost certainly see a rapid improvement with better light. Sundews use lots of sugar to make their dew (I think,) and the sugar comes from water, air and light (and photosynthesis.) If you didn't have the first two, I doubt the plants would be doing anything at all. Keep in mind, most sundews come from places where there is too much light and not enough nutrients, so they use that extra light to lure bugs in for fertilizer.
    Another possibility is that you could, maybe, be underwatering them. Is there a water table in the tank? If the tank is drying out all the way to the bottom, water it a little more often.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alrighty, ill take it into consideration. thanks man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hooorayyy for my terrarium!! Okay all you classic terrarium bashers, listen up. My dews and utrics are doing quite well and i never have to feed them because i am somehow breeding plentiful fungus gnats lol. its a perfect set up and theyr growing fast! I need a little more light though, they arent showing good color or lots of dew. Should i get another 2ft twin bulb flourescent tube set up (it fits) or compact flourescents??

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast