What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum?

Hey guys I've been trying to grow live sphagnum from the dead stuff for a couple of months and i'm not sure if I've done it. I'll let you decide:

P1010012.jpg

It's either the real stuff or algae let me know what you think

Zac

good i didn't get my hopes up but had to check thx wolf

Zac

If you want to grow spaghnum dont put it on soil, I have found out that it is really bad.
Put it in a glassjar or a plastc container,just put the spaghunm in and water a little. always keep the humidity in the container very high.
I did this and its growing great.

I'm not entirely convinced that it is algae, though the picture is inconclusive. I have found that the dried LFS naturally became live after several months.

Thx tyfone I have a couple of good seed growing trays that might do the trick

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not entirely convinced that it is algae, though the picture is inconclusive
Do you want some more pics?

Thx for the help guys,

Zac

It could be sphagnum. At first the dead stalks turn greenish, and if it's growing then little moss sprouts come out of the top.
If it's not growing, it'll turn into slime in about two to three months' time.
~Joe

After looking closely i'd have to say it's probably sphagnum but i'll let you guys confirm.

spag2.jpg

Sphag1.jpg

And this was growing in one of the pots from my neps

sphag4.jpg

sphag3.jpg

Whaddya think,

Zac

The first clump is definitely sphagnum. The other one is probably some other moss growing on the sphagnum.
Contgratulations, soon you'll have more than you'll ever need. :)
~Joe

thx for the confirmation,
right now it's sitting in a pot of peat/perlite
should that be fine or would it be best to put
it in it's own container like tyfone said?

Zac

It depends on what you want to do with it. It will cover the medium on any pot of CPs you choose to put it on. But, if you want to raise it just to have more sphagnum, I would suggest that you get some dried long fiber sphagnum, line a large undrained container with it, place your growing sphagnum in the dried stuff, and then fill the container with water up to the level of the sphagnum. Put it outside in good sun or inside under your lights. It'll grow over the entire surface eventually and you can divide it into other containers. I'm filling my Nep tanks with sphagnum in this manner.
~Joe

Thats exactly what I wanted to know thx Joe,

Zac

if I have this in my terrarium is it worth opening the lid or keeping it shut. The water is at the same level as the sphagnum is that what you meant? Here's a pic of the chamber:

Sphagtank.jpg

Open? Closed?

Zac

Open it sometime to refresh the air, otherwhise keep it closed

The first photo in this thread shows a slime of algae.

Back