What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant clearance plants - Say that three times fast

I got my plants from the Petflytrap.com plant clearance today and besides the VFT, I have no idea what the others are. If you guys can, please help me identify them:

AprilPhotos.jpg

I forgot to mention, if you guys could tell me what to plant these in that would be great.

The two on the left are Cryptanthus.
The other two that are the same are Neanthe bella Palm.
-Nick

Cool, thanks. Any suggestions on what to plant them in?

second from the right is the orchid.

I got all the same plants.

Alright, so we've got almost all of them I.D.'d. What's the weird, skinny one in the middle?

http://members.iinet.com.au/~scrozier/

Cryptanthus in their natural habitat are true terrestrials ( Growing in the earth ). A few varieties are saxicolous ( growing in soil pockets among rocks ), but none have ever been observed growing as epiphytes ( growing on other plants, but receiving nourishment from the air). Cryptanthus should always be growing as potted plants.

The growing medium should be a loose, porous mixture. There are many good mixes: commercial potting soils, African Violet mix, soils mixes or a mixture of peat and sand with perlite. Regardless of the mix chosen, it must be kept damp for best growth. It should never be allowed to totally dry out. Plastic pots help conserve moisture. Successful growers have used capillary matting, wick watering, misting systems as well as the old-fashioned method of watching the plant and giving it a drink when needed.

Cryptanthus should not be under-potted. The develop root systems at least equal to the size of the plant - a five or six inch pot will allow the root system plenty of room to develop.

Neanthe Bella Palm
Chamaedorea elegans

Plant need medium to low light and tend to burn when placed in direct sunlight. Plants need a medium to high humidity to thrive, though will grow ok with a lower humidity. Avoid growing this plant in a dry environment. The leaf tips turn brown if the plant is exposed to drafts, low humidity, or if overwatering.
Use a well drained soil kept moderately moist. The plant can stay in one container until quite pot bound. Red spider mite can be a major pest of this plant.

can't see the details on the middle one but my guess at this point is a Euphorbia typically called pencil bush or pencil Euphorbia or something similar
pencil euphorbia

yep, that looks like the one i got

Wow, thanks for all the great info guys. So do you guys think it would be cool if I just potted all these in a mix of peat, perlite, and maybe some orchid bark?

I'd go real lite on the peat with the orchid. I didn't use any. I potted mine thin layer of live sphag on the bottom to keep perlite in. Then 2/3 of the pot was 100% perlite, then 100% live sphag until the pot was full... Dunno if that is any good.

Everything else I stuck in my standard CP mix 1:1:1 peat:perlite:sand. I picked at the soil that was attached to the roots and made a guess from that..

Sounds good. I didn't have any time to pot my plants up today, but I think I'll do what you did. Just the standard CP mix, except for the orchid which I have a bag of Orchid Bark for.

The Euphorb would like peat, sand, perlite, and some osmocote. I have one growing in that, and it seems to do ok.

-Ben

I got the same exact plants in my "goodie" bag, I will step out and feel pretty dumb. Some say a mixture of sand. Would filter sand be safe to use? What type of sand if not?

Also, the soil the plants came in have some type of silverish flakes in them, which I will be honest and say Ive never seen.

My current mix is peat and perlite, however some say they use 1/1 of peat and perlite. I have never used that much perlite, mostly peat and a handful of perlite. (maybe thats wrong?)

The silver flakes were probably vermiculite. I would just use a simple potting soil for all of the plants except the orchid.

Yes, the silver flakes are vermiculite.

It seems like regular ol' potting soil for all but the orchids and the VFT should do well. You could ad some pumice/perlite/whatever if you want a looser mix.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this! Nice to know what I've got and how to take care of it!

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped out in this thread. I feel like my plants have a chance now!

I ordered the first day the cleance was offered. and still no sign of the plants-where did you say you can check the status of your order?

Thanks,

Joe

Back