What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NC Sundews

glider14

Always a newbie
hey can sombody ID these sundews from North Carolina?
thanks
Alex
get-attachment.jpg

Sundew.jpg

Mystery.jpg

Looks like d. brevifolia, Glider. However, the flower stalks are not very clear. D. brevifolia is easy to distinguish from any other drosera as it is covered with miniscule glandular hairs, complete with mucilage! Look real close, and use a magnifying glass if you have to.

i have actually very very good eyes
smile.gif
on one or two i can see the glandulars go all the way down the petiole. so maby its a good ID? well i live in KY, Steve, and my aunts friend lives in NC. he offered me some plants for my birthday. THEY ARE IN HIS BACK YARD!!!! is this legal? i hope it is
smile.gif
but please verify for me!

Absolutely legal, Glider. Property owners can give you whatever they want that is living in the yard, back or front! If THEY own it is why. They can give you anything on their property because they own EVERYTHING that is on it, including d. brevifolia. Written documentation along with the plants is a VERY GOOD idea. Covers your behind. Send me a few of those, will you? Location info too for my records, if you can.

Yeah, just get a couple for everyone on the boards.
smile_m_32.gif

lol yall crack me up.
smile.gif
ill ask him if he can send some to you two and only you two and maby one more to the next person to post
smile.gif
just like an auction haha...if you want it that is Gawd_oOo
smile.gif

tell me Steve do these need a dormancy? and do they grow well under growlights?
thanks
alex

wow that was fast! i got them today. i love overnight shipping. i was expecting a few plants but i got OVER 15 plants with at least 6 big ones. they are in bud right now so i hope to see some flowers soon.
Steve: once they have acclimated to my condiditons and gotten over shipping shock i will send you a few. maby ill trade some for somthing
smile_l_32.gif

alex
EDIT:i was browsing for care info and almost none of the pictures online about D. Brevifolia look like mine. the petioles are longer and the tentacles dont go all the way the the growth point. *sigh* another mystery Drosera on our hands.
confused.gif
onece they start to perk up i will get a closer picture

Glider, its not a mystery. Just something unfamiliar to you. I am certain they are d. brevifolia, but also look into the ranges of d. capillaris, and see if that is more likely. HOWEVER! D. capillaris has pink flowers, not white. D. intermedia has white flowers, and are completely different looking from what you have. Brevifolia can have white flowers, or pink. D. brevifolia is very small! Less than an inch across, and more commonly, around 1/2 inch.

alright new update: although they look nothing like most of the Brevifolia on Google, This Site are the spitting image(if not the exact same type) of what i have!! so i thought to myself...maby Brevifolia from different areas look different! AHA!
Steve: my biggest one is bigger than one inch but most others are smaller
alex

The plants on that website look like D. rotundifolia.

-Ben

Gotta agree with Ben here those wesite photos look like rotundifolia. My brevifolia are only about an 1" across. They are also in bud right now so I'll try to get some pics for you too. They have done well indoors under lights since I got them last spring as babies. I've heard they are annuals but they seem to be growing well so far. I'd cut the flowers off half just in case to help them preserve energy. Check our Bob Z's photofinder for some excellent pics. (You might as well make it a favorite while you at it.) I'm addicted

Mine came from N.C. too, although they were from EBAY !! From the guys ditch in front of his house.

ok this picture is the same i have(its brevifolia)...alot of tentacles on the petiole, longer petioles, same leaf shape(i still cant tell size of it)...i just measured my largest single specimine and its 2 inches to a "T"
smile.gif
everything else is below that. Good match?
Thanks
alex

All the other pics look like D. capillaris to me, lol. The lamina don't look wide enough for rotundifolia.
Your original pic looks like D. brevifolia. The plants are kind of hard to focus on, but like Bugweed said, the flower is a dead ringer.
I would love one of thoese as they look very nice.
If you get seed down the road, think of me and maybe we can trade.

Cheers,

Joe

2 inches is unusually large for brevifolia, but they have been known................... Strange plants! The leaf is very variable, and can fool anybody, but the flower says it all! I am waiting, Glider!

almost all of them are sending up stalks so i will definantly get seed in the future. they are staying outside right now and they are getting direct sun(like they were in NC) they are alrady producing dew so im very happy and they look happy too
smile.gif
. i am wondeing since NC has about the same climate as me, will the seed last through zone 6 winter? i was hoping to permenantly growing some outside. another thing. occasionally we CAN get a light drought in mid-summer. in the case of that would i still have to use pure water or could i use water from my hose?
thanks again
alex

They need no dormancy. A winter there would wipe them out. Indoors, under lights in the winter. MAKE SURE the flower stalks have the glandular hairs and mucilage. THAT is your true ID!

wow i gues i might have a positive ID then. my flower stalks have tiny red 'hairs' all up and down it. no mucalidge yet though
thanks
alex

Glider, you need to read up on your new baby. Google and get info on these plants.

Back