What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown Nep and Ping

• Thread starter fudog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ping
ok I bought them at a local generic nursery. heres the pics what do you guys think I got??
dsc000179km.jpg

dsc000081yu.jpg

The Nep looks like N. sanguinea to me, and the Ping looks like the one I have...the one I've never been able to identify!

I doubt sanguinea would turn up in a generic nursery. Odds are the Nep is ventrata and the Ping is the false 'Weser' as both are mass market TC clones.

Well if its a ventrata then what are these??
dsc000197af.jpg

dsc000154ho.jpg

dsc000057ag.jpg

Those latter pics are definitly ventrata.

The first Nep has very ventrata-like leaves. That is what I am making my ID on. That and the assumption that it is one of the major TC clones of which ventrata is them ost common. The pitchers are still quite immature so they are not the best for ID purposes.

Here is the first successful Nep I picked up from Lowes, 2.5 years ago. It has been consistently identified as being an N. sangunea.:

N_sanguinea.jpg

Looking at my own collection, its leaf shape most closely resembles that of a P. 'John Rizzi'.

Strausplants002.jpg

From what I have seen and read, N. ventrata can vary with its redness. Here's one I got from elgecko:

AF001201.jpg

UNtil the Pinguicula flowers you won't know for sure, even then some of them are very close. I'd label it as:
Pinguicula (Unkown ?moranensis? Hybrid)

Agristarts has been selling N. sanguinea and N. madagascarensis from TC for the past couple years.

Jim I would your little Nep is N. sangiunea, fudogs plant is still to young to ID.

Agristarts has N. sanguinea. They do not have N. madagascariensis. I saw N. madagascariensis once about 8 years ago from Nurseryman's Exchange but have not seen it since.

Ive seen several pics of N. sangunea(at varing ages) and it seems like its a really close match.:)

That "N. sanguinea's" pitchers seems to squat though Maybe If you got More up close pictures?

Ill see what i can do for more pics..
So what are we calling the ping??

oh yeah and guys if you look at the pitchers they have the wings but neither of my other 2 ventratas have them.???

I know that many Nepenthes pitchers lose the wings as they produce intermediate and upper pitchers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 12 2006,3:53)]Agristarts has N. sanguinea.  They do not have N. madagascariensis.  I saw N. madagascariensis once about 8 years ago from Nurseryman's Exchange but have not seen it since.
Yes, they were so common at nurseries, I always thought I would nab one sometime, lol. Have not seen any in years, as Tony mentioned.
Bummer.

Cheers,

Joe

Back