What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a previous thread on this but it doesnt seem to want to update properly, wherein Trent asked what Id like to know about growing Miranda, so heres my query:

I live in super sunny SFl and am having mixed success trying to grow various cps. So far Im doing ok (been growing since about march/april 06) with my vfts and a couple of sarrs(full sun), and I have a Nep ventrata from Lowes that is doing pretty well. I have however killed off all my sundews (adelae, binata, multifade, dichotoma, the last 3 seemed to be fine for about 5 months then they started dying off and not growing back).
Dont care much about the dews, but I love the neps and want to get optimal growth/traps.
Main problem is finding a place to hang them with the right amount of sunlight. I had the ventrata on the south facing front of my house hanging under a window shutter with bushes and trees shading it but it would still get some direct sun late in the day, but lots of growth and new traps, however they seem to start browning up at the top after only a week or two, then after the top browns down to the narrow point of the neck of the pitcher then it seems to stay that way for the next month or so before it conitnues to brown up the rest of the way. So Im not sure if this is normal or they need more shade or what ... which brings us to the Miranda.
Not wanting to burn or brown the massive pitchers, I dont want to risk whats going on with the ventratas and so have hung the Miranda in my north facing back patio (covered, screened) on the east end so it gets morning sun (filtered only by patio screen) and then just indirect light the rest of the day, and even so I wonder if this is too much light cause the morning sun lasts 2-3 hours and is pretty much direct... or is it too little, or both: too much in the morning, too little the rest of the day.
I have now moved my ventrata to hang next to the Miranda on the back patio and am really looking for advice on what would be best for both, but the Miranda concerns me greatly because I dont want to over or under cook the massive and what seem to be very slow growing pitchers, and I also dont want to stunt it.
I am spraying both with distilled water pretty much daily (more diligent admittedly since I got the miranda) and am considering (if too much sun is the issue) hanging another strip of screen at that end of the patio to double up the sunlight filtering.
Any other growing tips would be appreciated too:)
Thanks!

Sorry i missed your comments on the other thread. From the sound of it, light is not really a problem. Our weather has been very windy and somewhat lower than normal humidity, and this would explain the pitchers drying out from the top(lid) down to the waterline. For patio and outdoor Nep growing here in So. Fla, expect things to get a little rough looking. Drying winds, sudden temperature drops due to cold fronts with associated humidity drops, and shorter daylight hours all add up to somewhat sulky Nepenthes during the winter. Even if you mist them once a day, they are dry again within an hour when grown outside. The best bet for now is to let them aclimate to your conditions, expect some pitcher loss, and keep the potting mix moist but not soggy. Protect them by bringing them in when we get temps below 50 F, and take into consideration wind chill factors. You want them to continue growing new leaves, which will be slower at this time of year, so you will have the leaf tips ready to produce new pitchers once the days get longer and the temps are higher.
As for light intensity, you could adapt both to full sun, but it's better to provide bright filtered light, such as the screening you mentioned.
If you have any other questions, I'll answer as best as I can.
smile.gif

Trent

I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.
smile.gif
You'll get more response in the nep forum than the Identify This Plant forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back