What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis and Drosera....?

get one of the compact florescent bulbs... the ones that are labled like Energy efficient or somthing like that. Here is a site for what they look like. they are not usually that expensive though. i have a good portion of my plants under just ONE of these. my D. capensis "Red" is getting darker and my D. alicae seedlings are also turning a nice red. i have it(it has a 60 watt output but uses only like...20 watts or somthing like that) over a 10 gallon tank.
Alex

cant it be bought in common supermarket?
well those two are in my ofice, were daylight lamps are turn on all the day. maybe it's enough?

yes they can. i forgot to mention that
biggrin.gif
it depends what kind of lightbulbs those lamps are using... i really reccomend those CF bubls though. 2 of them should be enough
Alex

Do you have access to DIY? They should sell fluorescent lights. The light itself should be ~6" away from the plants. Um.... now how does that conversion of inches to centimeters go, again?
rock.gif

2.54 cm = approx 1 inch

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joseph Clemens @ Dec. 14 2006,7:46)]2.54 cm = approx 1 inch
LOL! Okay... ~15 cm.

I'm not sure i understand what is DIY... i have energy saving lamp like in the picture below. is this what you're talking?
lempute.jpg

DIY just means "do it yourself" and I guess he was asking if you had access to a store like home depot or something.

I'd use 2 more of those lights.

-Ben

yep! those have an output of 100w which is enough for many CPs. 2 of those and you could grow... just about anything lightwise
biggrin.gif

Alex

That's just the 'comparison' to show how much lumens it looks like compared to a regular incandescent bulb. Or, it's just saying it emits as much light output as an incandescent bulb that uses 100 watts. It really isn't much, just 20 watts. I'd say you might even want 4 of them, or use higher wattage bulbs.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 15 2006,10:22)]That's just the 'comparison' to show how much lumens it looks like compared to a regular incandescent bulb.  Or, it's just saying it emits as much light output as an incandescent bulb that uses 100 watts. It really isn't much, just 20 watts.  I'd say you might even want 4 of them, or use higher wattage bulbs.

-Ben
if it is only 20W and i need 4 of them why i should use them?  
rock.gif
wouldn't it be better just to have one normal 100 W lamp instead of 4?

I can answer that --- 1) shadow and 2) dependability. You should certainly position the lamps/lights as close to the plants as is possible.

1) More lamps can provide light from more directions, thereby giving the plant more of what it needs, several lamps will be overlapping where more than one illuminates the same surface, at the same time.
2) If you had a single lamp, and it failed, BTW it will fail at some future date, then your plant will be without light until it is replaced. With several lamps, it will be more likely that at least one will be illuminating the plant whenever any other lamp will be in need of replacement from failure.

but in nature there is only one sun and it's illuminating from one direction only! i understand what you want to say, but my question is - is it necessary to create better conditions thant plant would get naturaly in nature?

Of course, that would be a matter of personal preference and how you want your plants to look. Don't forget, these particular plants originated in South Africa, not Northern Europe. Even conditions similar to their natural conditions in Africa would be difficult to recreate, year-round, in Northern Europe. It is also difficult to recreate them here in the Southwestern desert region of the United States.

Most authors of books I've read, about growing plants, mention the concept of stress. Of course they mean "plant stress", but they mean anything environmental that the plant would not experience in its natural environment. Generally all "plant stress" is deemed to be on the failure side of the scale. Where environmental factors fall outside the parameters that the plant would experience in its native range. My personal philosophy is to do whatever I can to reduce that stress and keep the scales balanced towards, continued successful culture. Sometimes that might mean to over-compensate some environmental factor that I have good control of, when considering the many other environmental factors that I usually have much less chance of controlling. Here in the desert we have lots of very strong natural sunlight, nearly all year long. I grow most of my CP indoors, under lights, because outside, my natural temperatures, are too high and the humidity too low for many CP in the Spring and Summer, while they can be too cold and experience an even lower humidity in the Fall and Winter. I can achieve a lower plant stress level by growing them indoors with a more artificial environment. So, whenever I can, and when it seems appropriate, I try to more than optimize an environmental factor, to help reduce plant stress from other factors that aren't so optimum.

I find that I can endure more time outside at 110F (43C), if I can come inside my home, periodically, where the temperature is 75F (24C), than if the house were only 95F (35C).

We all grow our plants as our experience tells us to. Some of us are successful, some are not. Most of us have experienced some difficulty or failure to achieve our plant growing goals. I certainly have. But, for whatever it's worth, I will try to share my own experiences, and I appreciate hearing about my fellow horticulturists attempts, be they successes, failures, or something in-between.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KateKatinaite @ Dec. 15 2006,11:09)]if it is only 20W and i need 4 of them why i should use them?
rock.gif
wouldn't it be better just to have one normal 100 W lamp instead of 4?
The CF lamp consumes 20W, but outputs light about equivelant to a normal (incandescent) 100W bulb. With four CF lamps you get the equivelant light output of 400W worth of normal lamps while only using 80W of power.

The heat output is much less too.

So if the lumens output of the 100W normal and the CF 20W are both 1000, you'd get 4000 lumens at 80W with 4 CF lamps vs 1000 lumens at 100W with the normal lamp.

Also, incandescent lights are not good for growing plants at all, the spectrum is wrong, and the heat output is way too much. So, the comparison isn't really doing anything except showing you how much energy this lamp saves, and that's about it. A 100w incandescent isn't the right spectrum, and therefore prolly not bright enough for the plants, so that comparison means nothing when growing plants. A 20w fluorescent is really nothing for them; I use 90 watts all together on a lot of my plants, and they're healthy, but not really colored up, which shows me that they can handle a lot more light.

So, I'd just get higher wattage bulbs, 30 watts, for example, and use 2-3 of those.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Dec. 15 2006,3:26)]yep! those have an output of 100w which is enough for many CPs. 2 of those and you could grow... just about anything lightwise
biggrin.gif

Alex
Yeah, what Alex said! What we call home improvement stores, like Home Depot, Lowes,... I have seen Europeans refer to them as DIY, or Do It Yourself stores. We also call them hardware stores. One that I read about in the CP forums, in the UK, is called, Home Base. Maybe they have that in your Country?

in my country in every biger store you can find things like lamps, elektric power stuff, tools, paints, etc
biggrin.gif
but there some stores which specializes in what you call DIY (but still and in those shops you can buy food
biggrin.gif
)
anyway, thanx!!! light is important, as i have a lot of other light loving plants like orchids
smile.gif

Whoa, what happened to Jim's and Not a number's posts? Not a number's has my signature??!?! WHat????A?! Dang new forum!?!?!!

-Ben

I think the html is hosed some where, because it looks okay depending on which browser (or version) you have.

I'm using Opera right now and it looks ok. Different story with Firefox 1.5x

Back