What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis and Drosera....?

on the left in this picture i guess is Drosera capensis, but on the right? i presume it's Drosera aliciae?

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

More probably some form of Drosera spatulata. Where did you get it??

Nice cacti collection.

Are the outer pots on your Drosera plastic? Unglazed clay pots often have salts or other minerals in the material that could leech into the water.

<div>
(--Not a Number @ Dec. 12 2006,2:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice cacti collection.

Are the outer pots on your Drosera plastic? Unglazed clay pots often have salts or other minerals in the material that could leech into the water.</div>
thanks
smile.gif
these are only small part of all my cacutuses...
yes, all pots are plastic. but this is coincidence, 'cause i didn't know about unglazed clay pots
rock.gif

I dunno, it looks a lot like D. aliciae to me.

-Ben

Not having that much practice on identifying plants, I agree with Drosera36, kind of in a logical way as D. capensis and D. aliciae are some of the most common cps in garden centers ;)

<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Your post has been edited to improve its value as an archive and to help others understand more precisely which plants you are writing about. You can read more about the details of writing plant names at Plant Names Thread.]</span>

<div>
(--I_Pereira @ Dec. 12 2006,5:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not having that much practice on identifying plants, I agree with Drosera36, kind of in a logical way as D. capensis and D. aliciae are some of the most common cps in garden centers ;)</div>
very logical conclusion i know that they were brought from Holland. If D. spatulata is rare plant, then i really doubt that i could bought it here so easily...

D. spatulata is actually extremely common, and very often sold in garden centers. But I think that your plant is too big and the leaf shape is too different to be D. spatulata. It could possibly be D. spatulata 'Fraser Isand', but I still think that it's too big to be any form of D. spatulata.

-Ben

Not the best pictures in the world, but here are D. spatulata:
101_0120.jpg

And here is D. aliciae:
AF002401.jpg

I am very disinclined to disagree with Pyro, on a variety of levels, but your picture really does resemble more a D. aliciae than a D. spatulata.

That is definately not D. spatulata. I would go with D. aliciae myself.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 12 2006,8:15)]I am very disinclined to disagree with Pyro, on a variety of levels, but your picture really does resemble more an aliciae than a spatulata.
Hey, disagree with me to your hearts content
smile.gif
Seriously, if anyone thinks I am wrong they tell me and I will listen and if your evidence is better than mine that I will happily conced. I am not of the type that has a bent to be right all the time. I ain't no expert in Drosera especially not the SRS ones (of which I have only 1 because I can not stand the fact that they all look the same)!!

I was just tossing out spatulata because it is one of the mass market TC plants, I was not sure aliciae was. It seems it is so I am not going to argue with those who likely know better than me.

is there any diference in taking cere of D. aliciae and D. spatulata?

nope. both pretty much weeds. grow it the same as you grow your D. capensis
smile.gif

Alex

ok, then i'll don't worry
smile.gif
still it's getting realy interesting - D. aliciae or D. spatulata?! (to be or not to be
laugh.gif
)

i say D. aliciae!
Alex

it looks exactly like D. aliciae, except for the color, which is strange. looks super healthy though.

well if it came out of TC they usually dont get much light. i have yet to see a good looking department store CP.
Alex

The plants in your initial photo appear to be Drosera capensis and Drosera aliciae, though they are so light deprived as to be somewhat amorphous. If you gradually increase their light until it is nearly 100% full sun in intensity, they will appear more distinctly, themselves, and your identification will then be easier as they should begin to bloom soon thereafter.

unfortunately i don't think they will get sun light soon. only in summer we have more sunny days. and now it's clouded and it will stay like this for a long time
sad.gif

Back