Image 1:

Image 2:

Thanks

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one is Sarracenia purpurea most likely ssp venosa. The purple pitcher plant is its common name. If the outside of the hoods is smooth/non-hairy it's probably ssp purpurea.

I won't hazard a guess as to which Sarracenia the second one is. If you can get a closer shot of the hood, mouth and throat areas it would probably be helpful. The plant looks like it is dormant.

How many hours of direct sunlight does your windowsill get? Sarracenia need lots of sunlight to be happy and normally do better outdoors. The S. purpurea might do ok on the windowsill.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Not a Number @ Jan. 11 2007,7:34)]The first one is Sarracenia purpurea most likely ssp venosa. The purple pitcher plant is its common name. If the outside of the hoods is smooth/non-hairy it's probably ssp purpurea.

I won't hazard a guess as to which Sarracenia the second one is. If you can get a closer shot of the hood, mouth and throat areas it would probably be helpful. The plant looks like it is dormant.

How many hours of direct sunlight does your windowsill get? Sarracenia need lots of sunlight to be happy and normally do better outdoors. The S. purpurea might do ok on the windowsill.
    Thanks. Ok this is a close-up:

...but it's not very clear. I'll take some more pics and post them.

I'm not sure if the plant is dormant, I live in South Africa so it's summer here now (average daytime temp +26C or +78F). When I bought the plant it was rather neglected and some of the 'shoots' were dying off fron the hood down. It's in better shape now after some TLC.

The windowsill gets about 4 hours direct sunlight, is that too little? My sundews and VFTs love this postion.

Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mozie @ Jan. 10 2007,10:11)]I'm not sure if the plant is dormant, I live in South Africa so it's summer here now (average daytime temp +26C or +78F). When I bought the plant it was rather neglected and some of the 'shoots' were dying off fron the hood down. It's in better shape now after some TLC.

The windowsill gets about 4 hours direct sunlight, is that too little? My sundews and VFTs love this postion.

Thanks
    I'll leave up to the Sarracenia afficionados to ID the second Sarracenia. I bought one this week that looks very similar but I don't have photos yet.

4 hours may not be enough for the second plant. The growing patterns of Sarrs varies quite a bit depending on the species/hyrbrid so it might take some time to tell. If you get floppy pitchers it's probably not getting enough light.

Here's a photo of the S. purpurea I just picked up before New Years:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna take some more pics and post them, your S. purpurea seems quite different to mine. Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is much variation within the species in nature let alone the manipulations of mankind. Add in growing conditions and age of the plant which can affect the appearance. When the plants flower next spring post photos of the flower which is the best way to nail down the species.

Feel free to post photos of all your plants. There's a photo thread in the Pitcher Plant section of this bulletin board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it may be a S. rubra variety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the second one may be S. x 'Judith Hindle' but...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast