What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Lowe's Sarracenia

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
This one's from Gubler's. I suspect a hybrid with some purpurea in there somewhere. The tallest leaf is maybe 4 inches (pictured). No noticable throat "bulge".

04200008.jpg

04200010.jpg

it looks like it might be a 'Judith Hindle' because my Lowes offered them a while ago.

That would be nice, but I guess I won't know really until the growing season starts.

They had some S. psittacina too (again from Gubler's Orchids). I wish I had picked that one up also.

Here's a 'Judith Hindle' from Barry Rice's Gallaria Carnivora:

shybr11.jpg

It looks similar, and definitely a good match to the other pitcher I bought Monday. Photos on the way.

Possibly a rubra, guessing by the size. Do you have a photo that shows the entire pitcher? Could be var. wherryi... almost looks like alabamensis to me. It'll have to grow out before you can tell for sure.
~Joe

I have some "full body" shots on another roll of film that I haven't finished off yet. The plant is tiny, in a 2-3" pot, typical TC young 'un. Only two of the hoods are fully developed, the rest are either browned off or "minor-ish" looking.

The bigger plant I just bought looks very much like the one Mozie posted. I was thinking that one was a S. rubra var. wherryi, but it's hard to tell with the hoods dried out somewhat. Gotta get a digital cam
smile.gif

I'm still going with S. 'Judith'

Either would be nice. I'll just have to wait for the growing season.

The newest pitcher I picked up may be S. leucophylla. The sticker on the pot said it was from Nursery Man's Exchange (aka Bloom Rite). Looking at Booman's Floral website they mention that BloomRite/Nursery Man's Exchange is one of their brokers. Following the chain to PlantsforKids which is Booman's Floral etailer website the only pitcher outside of unspecified hybrids that would match what I have is S. leucophylla.

i got a Sarr from NME. it was my very first carnivorous plant! it turned out to be a 'Judith Hindle'.... pretty plant. but it died on me over winter.
Alex

Full frontal nudity:

03980025.jpg

03980017.jpg

This may sound crazy but I once bought Home Depot Sarracenias from the 50 cent rack. I was band new to the hobby and they most closely resembled S. rubra. After nursing them back to health and putting them through a dormancy, the following spring, they showed what they really were - a leucophylla mix of some sort. Give it time and care and it'll become more evident to you.

Well, what I thought were phyllodia are actually trap leaves. They're developing some red veining. I repotted all my warehouse wonders this afternoon and it turns out there were two complete plants in this pot (separate rhizomes). They were planted in a tiny plug of pure peat (probably a seed tray plug) and that was wrapped in LFS. What a chore unwrapping the LFS without tearing the roots. They're now planted in equal parts perlite - peat mix with an LFS top dressing.

I don't know when I'll get some pics. The LACPS meeting is this weekend and I also have some seeds that should be sown out of stratification.

Busy weekend.

Okay, it turns out there were two plants in the pot (separate rhizomes). The two tallest leaves are on different plants:

02030006.jpg

1 week later (I repotted the plants individually a few days earlier):

Plant 1:
02030026.jpg

02030027.jpg

02030028.jpg

Plant 2:
02030029.jpg

Looking at the plants today it appears the hoods are lightening up between the red veins to maybe white/pinkish and there may be some fernestration or at least whitening on the 'trumpet' near the column of the hood.

As time goes by...

Some recent photos of this unknown:
P5180101.jpg

P5180089.jpg

P5180090.jpg

P5180091.jpg

P5180099.jpg

P5180093.jpg

P5180100.jpg

P5180102.jpg

could be 'Jdith Hindle'

Look at all those forms of Judith Hindle. Crazy.

I think it's a judith hindle
mine looks the same.
It should darken up as the pitchers age

Everything about that screams Judith Hindle. Even the unopened pitchers. My vote is Hindle.

Wow! It looks like Lowes really treated that plant bad. It hardly looks like a 'judith hindle' in the first pictures.

Yeuuup. Looks exactly like my Judith Hindle.

Judith 4 sure.

That is amazing. No way did that look like it was gonna turn into that. I have NEVER seen something like that. That plant went through hell.

Back