What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID this Sarracenia

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
I picked this up at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) Monday. The tag on the pot said it was from Nursery Man's Exchange (aka Bloom-Rite). Since NME is a broker for Booman's Floral, most likely the plant is from Booman's TC factories. Most disturbing was the little flag card that was in the pot. Text in card:

Bloom-Rite
Indoor Garden Care
Keep your beautiful BLOOM-RITE Indoor Garden in temperatures between 55 to 77F. Your indoor garden requires indirect lighting. Keep soil moist, but do not overwater, as your container does not have drainage holes. Allow top of soil to dry to touch before watering. Fertilize one or twice yearly with a houseplant fertilizer.
NOT INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. PLEASE USE SAUCERS TO PROTECT FURNITURE AND FLOORING.
"A POLLUTION FIGHTER PLANT"

I was thinking this plant is S. leucophylla, but after looking at it in the sun today I'm leaning towards 'Judith Hindle'

03980007.jpg

03980026.jpg

03980021.jpg

03980022.jpg

More photos

03980031.jpg

03980030.jpg

03980029.jpg

03980028.jpg

looks like a S. 'Judith Hindle to me.... its in desparated need of light(obviously) itll color up once spring comes around.
Alex

I would go with a white leucophylla. Give it time.

it's a leucophylla or leucophylla hybrid, not 'Judith Hindle'

that's probably a S. leucophylla, the only reason why I think that it's only a luec is because of the 'hood collumn'

That looks like S.xreadii. It's not a Judith Hindle. And definitely not a pure leuco.

This plant and the unknown Lowe's Sarracenia have been putting out phyllodia recently. Time to put them outside I guess, although the windowsill they are currently on probably gets the same amount of sun as the balcony they are destined to.

id say judith hindle, but definately not a straight leucophylla, if its a leuco.

could it even possibly be an S. x moorei? if it looks so much like a leucophylla but isnt.... thats my next guess.
Alex

No way that's a moorei or a Judith Hindle. That's leucophylla x rubra.

I haven't killed it yet, so when it starts growing we'll get a better idea what it is. I guess S. leucophylla shows its best growth in the fall so we may have to wait a bit.

All the hoods and tops turned brown so I trimmed them off.

I did acquire some mature S. leucophylla rhizome divisions so at least I'll have something to compare it to.

Compare till your hearts content. It IS NOT pure leuco. I am inclined to go with Garden of Eden and MFH on this one. I have too many S. X readii to think this is anything but.

Yes, looking at S. x readii, I'd have to say it is a very good match. If I don't manage to kill the plant we shall see in a few months. :eek:

Yes I would definately say wait till you see a fresh trap and the proper ammount of sun.

I hate to disagree with Bugweed, who is more experienced and knowledgable than probably anyone here.
However, I would say it IS 'Judith Hindle'. I think it is still young and out of tissue culture, but I bet as Spring and summer come on the pitchers will fatten up and it will look more and more like a typical 'Judith Hindle'. The one leaf on the left looks a little more 'Judith' than the others. My main reasoning is that 'Judith Hindle' has been mass-tissue cultured, and it is one of the few hybrids you will find in the mass market (along with 'Scarlet Belle' and maybe some of the "Bus" series). I am not saying I can't be wrong, (and I went from 99.9% positive to 80% positive after reading Bugweed's reply! ).

Where did the plant come from again? I'm almost positive this is S.xreadii. I've grown it for many years and have seen it countless times in its natural habitat (in its countless forms and variations). I've also grown judith Hindle and have only ever seen it look like 'Judith Hindle'. I certainly understand your reasoning as Judith Hindle is mass produced and widely available.

And Woodnative could be right, too. I am not the last word in sarracenia, and only time a good sun will tell. I, like Manny, am going by what I have seen, but it isn't yet the proper season to be absolutely sure.

woodnative, how on earth can you say it is a 'Judith Hindle', it looks nothing like it whatsoever! The big giveaway is the lip, Judith is almost straight across without the leuco "pout" shown by all the pitchers on this plant. No amount of sun is going to change it into a 'Judith Hindle'....

I am quite amazed that as soon as someone posts an unidentified hybrid in this thread there are always a few votes for 'Judith Hindle'...is this the only hybrid you guys have ever seen?

I don't believe it's a 'Judith Hindle" either, but you could have been a little bit nicer about it, Stephen.

I think it's S. x readii because the pitcher starts to get "puffy" under the peristome. Lol, It's a bad way to describe something but I call 'em like I see 'em :)

Back