What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID this Sarracenia

And I have never seen a Judith Hindle, but tons of S. X readii. I do have S. X "Diane Whittaker" from Mike King, but "Judith Hindle" I just don't know. I still am convinced it to be S. X readii with little color.

Stephen's observation about all the 'Judith Hindle' voters is kinda funny. I've kinda noticed that too. I think part of the reason is because it's so widespread. People just assume it's the most likely candidate. But...when it's not a 'Judith Hindle, it's not a 'Judith Hindle'.

Bugweed...I'm surprised you haven't seen a 'Judith Hindle'. It was one of those elusive, all-desired hybrids back before it was tissue cultured. Now they're everywhere.

Lol, maybe one day 'Leah Wilkerson" will be TC'd and be widespread and hum-drum and people will argue over what it is.

"How come everyone always sees a hybrid and says its 'Leah Wilkerson'?!"

That would be great. I wouldn't have any objections.

I don't believe it's a 'Judith Hindle" either, but you could have been a little bit nicer about it, Stephen

yes, sorry, I'm a bit grumpy today. :mad:

Problem is that somone will then label the plant as 'Judith Hindle', and then pass that plant to someone else mis-labelled. It's great to be interested enough to attempt an identification but it is better to have a plant labelled "unknown hybrid" than to have a guess and then pass on a mis-identified plant...

I like unknown plants :) It makes them cheap and is a great way to fill up the bog LMAO

Stephen...I agree. It's better to have an inkling than just throwing out a name. I have recieved (and subsequently passed on because I didn't know) mislabelled plants. I stress again...this plant is not 'Judith Hindle'. :nono: :p

Spring leaves:

070303-23.jpg

070303-21.jpg

070303-20.jpg

070303-22.jpg

I just now read this, and looks like Manny , Bugweed, ect were right. I have to admit, I thought I was a JH from the first photo, for all the reasons already mentioned-because it is the TC hybrid that looked like this plant the most.
It's a good thing with have such experienced Sarracenia growers on this forum.

Cheers,

Joe

I just now discovered this thread.

After checking out all of the posts and my own memories of growing this cultivar for several years now, my vote is for Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle'.

Isn't it amazing how much of a part, environment plays, in the development of plants. :banana2:

I guess short of a DNA test, distributing small divisions to several growers of Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' should help to "lock down" a nearly positive ID.

What is it?

hey there,
I am sure that it is a leuc x rubra = 'Readii' of some sort.
Becaus ethat is what they are selling this year.
Lois

Recent photos (like today :) )

Note: After looking at the numerous photos on BobZ's CP photo finder I'm inclined to agree that is a S. x readii

P5280095.jpg

P5280099.jpg

P5280098.jpg

P5280096.jpg

P5280097.jpg

P5180103.jpg

no.jpg

S.x readii!!! :-))

Fall colour and flower:

01730010.jpg

01730008.jpg

Okay, what is the difference between a readii, a Dana's Delight, and a Judith Hindle? And furthermore, what are these?

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

Both 'Dana's Delight' and 'Judith Hindle' will turn almost comletely red given enough sun. 'Dana's Delight' will keep a bright pink almost fuscha tinge in the hood and throat - very disticntive. 'Judith Hindle' will get a darker maroon in the hood/throat. x readii keeps an olive green with red veining.

'Dana's Delight' will have narrow tall pitchers 2-3 feet. 'Judith Hindle' is shorter and more squat - no doubt more purpurea in the mix.

The hoods on 'Judith Hindle' and 'Dana's Delight' have very ruffled large upright hoods, where as x readii hoods are more parallel with ground. x readii has a narrow column (neck of the hood). 'Dana's Delight' has the widest column of the three. 'Judith Hindle' has the largest hoods of the three - 2-3 the width of the mouth. x readii has the smallest hoods.

Sarracenia x readii is a natural occuring hybrid of leucophylla and rubra.

'Judith Hindle' and 'Dana's Delight' are cultivars of complex hybrids of leucophylla, purpurea, psittacina and who knows what. They are propagated through tissue culture or division to maintain their characteristics.

Alexis...you obviously live in England and have not seen readii in the wild (or much in cultivation). No two are alike. You can't go by one photo.

JimScott...those are all different hybrids. That's the difference. Once mature they will differ in appearance.

Going by Warren's written description, is my top pic that of a Judith Hindle?

Back