What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what kind of nep is this?

• Thread starter disco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    care

disco

aqua teen hunger force assemble!!
Mar02_07.jpg
Mar02_08.jpg

not the best pics these are webcam pics but what kind of neps is this??? care tips would be appreciated also this is my first nep

its from lowes, KEEP THAT LID ON!!, its either N. ventricosa or N. ventrata. you wont be able to tell until its gotten some age on it :)
Alex

lol after that incident last night i put the lids back on all of them and sat them under a light source turns out that my reptile bulb works equally well for my plants :) i am gonna try to get them as big as possible (they are lowes plants after all) and then take some more pics :D

at 1st glance, i would guess N. ventricosa...but i would adapt it to grwon in low humidity, since it is a highland. just put it in a sunny windowsill and keep the bottom of the tray in no more that 2 inches of water. give it time... N. Ventricosa is very hardy!

oh, and don't use the inncandesant bulbs (get too hot...burn plant...) i use a 40 watt shop light, and my ventricose grows like mad!

CP_dude - how does altitude relate to low humidity?

I'm going to go against CP_Dude and suggest not to put it in 2 inches of water....

Do young ventricosa produce pitchers with wings? Mine is still in the lower/intermediate phase but I can't remember ever seeing a pitcher with wings on it. The leaves have the ventricosa curved/tapering shape to them, but that plant seems to be under stress so it's hard to make a positive ID. Once it's acclimated to your conditions and in better spirits you should have an easier time identifying it.
I wish I had access to better materials on cultivating Neps, but currently Barry Rice's guide, which was the basic reading I used to refer to for Neps, is offline for updating. Basically, successful Nep cultivation is that you get all the basic conditions (water, temperature, light, humidity) correct, but with most varieties you can let one area slide so long as the others are really spot-on. Also, the key thing to keep in mind with Neps is that they are slow growers - it takes a Nep several weeks to respond to minor changes in their surroundings, and major changes can leave a Nep reeling for months. When you get a Nep home from the store, you shouldn't be surprised if it takes two months to grow it's first new leaf, because the plant is in shock and busy trying to adapt to the new conditions in your home. So in short - lots of patience. Spend this free time reading up on the genus - http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com is a great place to start.
~Joe

i think the higher the altitude the lower the humidity because the moisture just goes up...but in low elevation, it gets stuck in the thick vegetation and the humidity remains high (this is a compleat guess...but i guess it kinda makes sence...)???

Why would the moisture "just go up"? My guess is that the higher temps at low altitudes holds more humidity.

i think the higher the altitude the lower the humidity because the moisture just goes up...but in low elevation, it gets stuck in the thick vegetation and the humidity remains high (this is a compleat guess...but i guess it kinda makes sence...)???

you look at the ultra highland species and the ones close to it(rajah, lowii, villosa, macrophylla, ect.) they have super high humidity in the wild and (for the most part) need it in cultivation. i say for the most part because there are the exceptions... there is a change in the highlands from day to night humidity wise. the main reason the lowlands are so humid is because of evaporation from the hot sun.
Alex

Air is a fluid. Just like the ocean, there are more molecules at the bottom since it's under pressure from what is on top. Warm air can hold more actual water molecules as a gas and that is what RH is. If you take warm air with a RH of anything given, say 80%, and cool it, the RH will go up since cool air holds less water vapor than warm air. The same amout of vapor is there, but now it is more concentrated and is at a higher RH%. Dry air (low RH) can cool things off faster through evaporation than cool air by the way. That's how evaporate cooling (swamp coolers, sweating) works. As air is heated, it rises and cools, the RH rises and condenses into clouds once it is high and cool enough, it rains, you know the story.

When you try to visualize this, think of the heat waves generated from a grill or hot asphalt. That is a perfect example of how air is a fluid.

Wow that was pretty hard to articulate. I hope I helped out a bit. By the way, since the air is thinner at high altitudes that's why it's cooler. Fewer molecules to hold the heat.

Back