What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Nep

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Looking to try and ID this beast for a frined. It is believed it may have originated with Cliff Dodd if that helps any.

Pitcher

P8130001.jpg

P8130002.jpg

Different pitcher

P8130004.jpg

Opening pitcher

P8130006.jpg

Neck and spur

P8130003.jpg

Leaf

P8130005.jpg

I suspect it may be a truncata x veitchii hybrid but it also bears some similarity to the spectabilis x veitchii hybrid.

Any guesses welcome

My guess would be N. spectabilis x N. veitchii.

Hmm....the coloration of the pitcher looks similar to other Spectabilis hybrids, I'd agree with Dave that its probably a spectabilis x veitchii.

This is a very wild guess, but when I saw the picture N. fusca came right into my mind. Could there be some N. fusca in there?

-Ben

Hey Ben, it is possible. Someone else on another forum has suggested burbidgea x fusca...

They thought burbidgea x fusca, with no veitchii at all? Sure looks like a veitchii hybrid.
Say, on the presitome of the opening pitcher, is that a larva of some kind?

Cheers,

Joe

My vote is N. spectabilis x veitchii. The slightly truncated leaves could be explained by the father. However, if this was the parentage, you'd think it would be more hirsute than the pictures show, wouldn't you?

The overall shape of the pitcher is very odd, how the pitcher narrows as it gets closer to the peristome. First thing that struck my mind was aristolochioides or ovata DNA in there somewhere, probably not.

VERY interesting shape.

Joe, that looks like the very center of the bottom of the peristome is still folded in, and the ribs of the peristome look like the segments of a larvae.

Whatever it is, it's awesome. I love the neutral hues.

xvart.

The plant is as hirsute as my spectabilis x veitchii. But the pitchers are totally different in shape and the leaf structure is also not the same which was why I kind of scratched that. Of course, my plant is only 60cm tall with 15cm pitchers and this thing is at least 1.5m probably closer to 2m and that pitcher was easy 30cm.

So maybe...

I am bogarting this pic from the NECPS BBQ thread. Looks similar to me. If anone knows the ID on this??

2SxV.jpg

isnt N. hurelliana involved in some hybrids? what about hurelliana x spectabilis?

Yeah hurelliana is hybrid with veitchii. And they don't look like this from what I have seen. Plus IIRC this plant was bred before hurelliana was in circulation

Looks like it could be a fusca-sarawak/veitchii hybrid. The lid is the same and the shape of leaf is very similar to N. fusca - Sarawak.

i too think it looks like fusca sarawak x veitchii...but i almost looks like there's some maxima in there! :crazy: who knows...

Back