What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help with id of this utric

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
Thanks!

utricnoid.jpg

Yup, that is a Utric alright. A terrestrial one at that.

Without a flower it is going to be nearly impossible as many of the terrestrials look so alike. If I had to make a guess it could be sandersonii, livida, dichotoma, uniflora, paulinea...

without a flower, as said above, it is impossible to tell.

i'll venture a guess as U. sublata-they are everywhere!

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I might have mixed up dichotoma and subulata. Was about to give this away as subulata but was told that subulata leaves are like bisquamata, parthenopipes...BUT, dichotoma leaves seems more pointed at the ends while these are rounder. *dizzy*

There was a flower stalk but it dried up before it opened...I hope it does not turn out to be cleistogomous or I'll have this utric all over the place.

Based on the bit of stalk in the pic I would say dichotoma but that is not 100%

Thanks, Pyro. I'll temporarily label it as dichotoma until it flowers.

my dichotoma leaves are pointed. it looks more like my livida. how large are the bladders? most U. dicotoma have very large(compared to other species of bladderwort) bladders.
Alex

I have a colony of U. dichotoma that is currently flowering.... and as soon as I can borrow a camera...

Anyways, assuming what I have is correct, the flowers are purple.

glider14, how big is big? Ermm...so sorry, I haven't seen much terrestrial bladders except for U. sandersonii. I've got U. livida but the leaves are much wider and fan-shaped. :0o:

The leaves on dichotoma can vary in shape and size dependiong on a lot of factors. I have 6 different clones and see more phenotypes than I would think possible.

The bladders are not as reliable an indicator either. Yes, they can be much bigger than other terrestrial Utrics but it depends on conditions. Usually they are not too different from anything else unless they are really really happy.

Best bet for ID is still flower

Thanks, Pyro. I will put up a thread in the Utric forum about how to stimulate flowers for the species I have. They are all new to me. ???

Back