What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need ID for Nepenthes

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I need some of you Nepenthes experts. I had the pleasure of rescuing this bad boy from Lowes. I could have also snagged a Darlingtonia, but I have plenty of plants for now. What do you think?

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

Without a doubt, N. sanguinea.

xvart.

For a Lowes nep, that's about the best you can do, imo. It's a pure species, it gets big, it grows well, etc.

Capslock

Awesome, thanks everyone. I think I lucked out... never expected to own a Nepenthes anytime soon and sure as heck didn't expect to find it at Lowes. Should it grow fine under 6 40 watt T12 fixtures with the tray method?

i keep my nep outdoors and have it in a 1:1:1; peat:perlite:lfs mix and i water it about every 3 days just soaking the surface. i also removed the tray as alot of people suggested and keep the soil moist but not wet. i noticed that even when its really dry on the surface, its usually still pretty moist just below, so i always move some soil around with my finger to check if i need to water.

~b

Should it grow fine under 6 40 watt T12 fixtures with the tray method?

There are different opinions on the the tray method for growing neps. In my experience, some do fine while others fail. I would advise against the tray method for this one. I think your lights seem fine for growing it.

In my opinion, the nep id is most likely a N. sanguinea 'orange' variety.

Dave and Billy -

I appreciate it. Effective tomorrow I will refrain from using the tray method but will only water from the top every 2-3 days.

I was never really interested in Nepenthes... but it really is an impressive plant in person.

I was never really interested in Nepenthes... but it really is an impressive plant in person.

i think your :crazy: i love neps far as im aware they are th largest traps and among the most beautiful imo. But congrats on the nep! I know that sanguinea likes to climb, no? :boogie: now i want more neps... :cry:

i think your :crazy: i love neps far as im aware they are th largest traps and among the most beautiful imo. But congrats on the nep! I know that sanguinea likes to climb, no? :boogie: now i want more neps... :cry:

Yeah, I don't know what it is really... but I definitely have a new found respect for them. I am a sundew guy, so this is a change for me:)

Back