What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that Nep Hybrid

• Thread starter DroseraBug
  • Start date

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Hi,

Can anyone identify this one? A good test for the Nep hybrid enthusiast. If you get it you gain the status of CP Sheldon from the Big Bang theory show. If you are not familiar with the show Sheldon knows everything there is to know about anything scientific /historic basically a supernerd.
March2208183.jpg

March2208184.jpg

it looks like nepenthes vetnricosa x maxima but no clue do we win it?

the shape isnt right for a N. ventricosa x maxima. it reminds me of ventricosa x malpuensis(sp?) though.

Alex

How about ventricosa x mirabilis?

Cheers,

Joe

The ventricosa part of the hybrid is correct. No one has gotten the other parental species yet. I probably could have provided more details of the plant but this was all I got. I want to give a hint but I'm afraid I'll give it away. Hmm, Hint: The other is a slower growing more compact lowlander.

Is it that jungle bells hybrid? I forgot what it's a cross between...

lowlander. slow. compact....truncata? looks nothing like ventricosa x truncata to me. the leaves are too "lancey" and not blunt.

theyellowdart: the parents in that hybrid and ventricosa and N. sibuyanensis....or so people think. most of the EP hybrid's parents were not given out to make sure someone doesnt re-create the cross. it could be jungle bells. long tendrils would give that hybrid away. but i cant tell from the photo.

Alex

Well, the tendril threw me for a loop....but the lid looks like it may be amp, which is about as compact as you can get.

Yall are so warmer and getting warmer. This is a hard one apparently. Again, it may be my fault for not providing more photos. Round2 Hint: Think long tendrils

ventricosa x inermis?

Round 3 Hint: Ventricosa X a lowland species? that would be good for a long time in a terrarium because of its size.

I would say Nepenthes glabrata, but that is a highlander. How about Nepenthes bellii?

-Ben

Ben,

Your new nickname should be Sheldon. :hail:

All were great professional answers. The plant label in the greenhouse was
Nepenthes ventricosa x globamphora. Globamphora correct me if I'm wrong is now bellii.

Is that greenhouse in NC?

Back