What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Purpurea ssp. Venosa?

I got a Purpurea from a Lowe's death cube last month. When I got it, it was a sickly light green color with no veining to speak of, and sad little roots. It's the only purpurea I've found at any Lowe's, HD, etc. so I consider myself lucky for having found it.

I did some research and decided it must be a venosa, so I labeled it as such, repotted it (etc. etc.) and put it outside, and hoped for the best; now I'm wondering if it's some kind of variant, as I was not aware that venosa's turned mostly red in sunlight - it was 100% light green when I got it.

I don't have any "before" pics, sorry.

The "WOOHOO" in the first pics is proof that it's going to be okay - hopelessly dying plants don't usually produce new leaves. :)

Can anyone ID this so that I can be sure?

The rhizome seems to be peaking up from the soil as you can see in the first pic; should it be deeper in the soil? I'd prefer to leave it be if it isn't going to hurt it.

Difficult to give a good ID at this point of growth. Most likely it is S. purpurea ssp venosa because that's what is commonly sold. They tend to do better in a wider range of climates than ssp. purpurea.

If you want, mound the potting mix up to cover the rhizome but it will swell as it grows and uncover itself eventually anyway.

It's most likely the southern purp like NaN said.

It's very common at Lowe's.

I find these Purpureas as easy to grow as a VFT or a cape.

I've rescused about a dozen of these poor critters at reduced prices, grown 'em to health and given them away to ladies in the office. They love 'em!

Looking good! :)

Why even worry about a subspecies ID? If it came from a death cube, even the species or hybrid IDs are dubious until confirmed. Just enjoy it as a NoID Sarracenia. It looks like it's going to be gorgeous no matter what you call it!

S. purpurea ssp. venosa is shorter and wider than S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.

Why even worry about a subspecies ID? If it came from a death cube, even the species or hybrid IDs are dubious until confirmed. Just enjoy it as a NoID Sarracenia. It looks like it's going to be gorgeous no matter what you call it!

I like to know what I have so that if I want to get another at some point but a different kind, I don't accidentally buy a duplicate.

S. purpurea ssp. venosa is shorter and wider than S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.

...and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why I can't find the northern purp anywhere!

How scarce are these in cultivation? Who here is growing the northern purp??

I'd sure like to find a good starter plant... :-(

This sarracenia purpurea was found in Wisconsin. Is this common?

...and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why I can't find the northern purp anywhere!

How scarce are these in cultivation? Who here is growing the northern purp??

I'd sure like to find a good starter plant... :-(

They are quite common, having the largest range of any of the Sarracenia species. Not so common in cultivation because of the colder winter requirements. They can be found in bogs most of the Great Lakes region, NY and NJ.

Ben (Drosera36) has some in cultivation as well as them growing wild in a bog near him in upstate NY.

Back