User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: unknown drosera sprouting everywhere...

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sean, I thought it looked like something with perhaps D. nitidula in it.

Usually it is way too early to tell what a species of Drosera is as most rosetted Drosera seedlings look the same when very young.

Just for reference here are some D. capensis seedlings in my pot with Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post

Just for reference here are some D. capensis seedlings in my pot with Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia:

Thank you for posting that picture. You can see that they're different... to me anyways. You can tell it's probably a pgymy because not only is it small, but the 'tentacles' have that long, narrow shape.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell it's probably a pgymy because not only is it small...
    All seedlings are small.
    I also doubt that pygmy seeds would have such a high germination rate in a foreign soil. Capensis are notorious for sprouting in just about any kind of [cp] media.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go with the capensis seedlings, too. While I've had pygmies pop up as weeds in a couple pots, I've not had them invade all my pots. Also, I think he would have spotted the gemmae on a few of the sprouts, now that he's checking more closely for invaders in his other pots.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you guys say that is a capensis seedling!!!
    Flat petiol, perfect round leaf....that is a pygmy and i can bet you for it!!!!!!
    i do have now capensis seedlings and are not looking like that...the leaf is pointed to the petiol not round
    most of the pygmy sp don't have a high germination rate so i doubt that all of them are pygmys.....but the ones from your pics, they sure are. they do popup in foreign pots.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had high germination rates from my gemmae. My other reason for thinking it's more likely D. capensis is that seeds scatter over a large area more easily than gemmae. In my experience, gemmae usually land in pots adjacent to the pygmy pot. Seeds scatter all over the place. Third reason, unless he forgot to list them, he doesn't have any pygmy dews in his collection. He does have spatulata and capensis. Both tend to be weeds if not watched carefully.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do have now capensis seedlings and are not looking like that...the leaf is pointed to the petiol not round
    Read the other responses!
    They don't look anything like the mature plant when they first come up, I had the same trouble. The more mature capensis characteristic leaves will come up after it puts out a few more of those seedling leaves.
    most rosetted Drosera seedlings look the same when very young.
    Not A Number even posted a picture of Capensis seedlings showing that they don't have the typical elongated stem when they are that young. They start to develop that feature as they get older.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by looking at the pic posted by Not A Member you can clearly see the diference between the capensis and the seedling from the very first pic....look at the form of the leaf and look how many tentacules the leaf has....i have hundreds of capensis seedlings and they look nothing like that...but i do have a few pygmys from seeds and they look very similar
    it would help to know how old are the ones in the pics. Maybe not all f them are pygmys but the ones in the pics sure are!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast