User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: unknown drosera sprouting everywhere...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cape.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    what makes you guys think it's a hybrid?
    looks no diferent to me than a ericksoniae\omissa....i do know it's to early to tell but i'm just curious.
    Sean is an ace at identifying Australian Drosera. It comes from years of experience growing them.

As for me they look like D. nitidula x pulchella from the shape of the petioles, leaf and tentacles. Note that the petioles have a flat cross-section (pic 3) opposed the the "D" cross-section of D. capensis and how the petiole narrow slightly towards the leaf. The leaf is orbicular as opposed to more spatulate shape of young D. capensis leaves.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on the D. nitidula x pulchella I.D. I either gave or traded away some to the person who posted this thread and they looked familiar. However, I've had some confusion lately on this cross of pygmy. The reason is that most of the photos posted under this name on Bob's photofinder have white flowers and I could find one photo of this hybrid on the finder with pink/purplish flowers. The pygmies I have labeled as D. nitidula x pulchella have extremely purple/pinkish violet flowers. There have obviously been some taxonomic updates with this group.

The flowers on what I have labelled as D. nitidula x pulchella look nothing like this http://www.necps.org/images/20030701...la-flowers.jpg

However the flowers look more like this http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ooo0037me.jpg

Is there both a white flowering and purplish/pink flowering variety of D. nitidula x pulchella? My guess is that you get both flower colors depending on what clone of this hybrid you have. Given that D. nitidula have white flowers and D. pulchella have pink/purple/orange.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pygmies get mislabeled quite often as the gemmae are so easily scattered between pots. I have D. nitidula x pulchella from two different source. Although that's no guarantee that they are different clones. Both of mine produced pinkish flowers.

The color balance and exposure is off in the first photo so I don't think it is a good reference to judge flower color.

Sean could probably answer the flower color question more definitively.

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I've been following this thread for a few days, because I also have 2 unidentified Drosera seedlings, which I assumed were Capensis (I had one seed) except all the other Capensis seedlings are twice the size! These two are barely growing, and having read how they could possibly be some other type of sundew I'm actually beginning to be worried for them! They don't seem to be growing, and they only have 2 true leaves, even though they're like nearly 3 months old, which is much too slow compared to my other Capensis, so what should I do? I'm afraid I'm going to kill them?!?
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feed them. When Drosera seedlings growth (any CP actually) stalls like that it's often from lack of nutrients. Drosera rotundifolia and hybrids are particularly hungry and need a lot of nutrients to grow. Drosera glanduligera seedlings are very unhappy if not fed and often die without feeding.

Or they could just be weak plants. In my seedling pots there is always a percentage of plants that stay small/grow slowly no matter what I do. I repot the more vigorous plants and if the "runts" don't take off after that they usually get discarded.

What to feed them? Powdered freeze-dried bloodworm or crushed fish food flakes is what I normally use. If you have an electronic bug trapper/zapper you can dry and powder the dead insects from that. Mist lightly to aid digestion. As the seedlings get larger I feed with flightless fruit flies and what ever small insects I happen to catch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nitidula x pulchella has a pink/purpule flower....mine had flowered today...again!
    many options for a id on the seedlings!!!!!!!
    i remember reading somewhere that the pygmy hybrids have steril seeds that will not germinate and can reproduce only by gemmae.......is this thrue
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/ it can also have white flowers.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast