What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown drosera sprouting everywhere...

Thanks Sean, I thought it looked like something with perhaps D. nitidula in it.

No worries I agree entirely. Definitely appears to have D. nitidula in it, as most of these pygmy hybrids usually have. The other parent will either be D. pulchella or ericksoniae.

It is obvious from the lamina, it is obvious from the petiole and it is obvious from the stipules. It is a pygmy Drosera.

my sundew is sprouting as well buthmmm here let me post a picture

you can see a small resemblance only mine misses the dew..and the flat head's....

resemblance?????
to wich one ?

what makes you guys think it's a hybrid?
looks no diferent to me than a ericksoniae\omissa....i do know it's to early to tell but i'm just curious.

Cape.

what makes you guys think it's a hybrid?
looks no diferent to me than a ericksoniae\omissa....i do know it's to early to tell but i'm just curious.

Sean is an ace at identifying Australian Drosera. It comes from years of experience growing them.

As for me they look like D. nitidula x pulchella from the shape of the petioles, leaf and tentacles. Note that the petioles have a flat cross-section (pic 3) opposed the the "D" cross-section of D. capensis and how the petiole narrow slightly towards the leaf. The leaf is orbicular as opposed to more spatulate shape of young D. capensis leaves.

I agree on the D. nitidula x pulchella I.D. I either gave or traded away some to the person who posted this thread and they looked familiar. However, I've had some confusion lately on this cross of pygmy. The reason is that most of the photos posted under this name on Bob's photofinder have white flowers and I could find one photo of this hybrid on the finder with pink/purplish flowers. The pygmies I have labeled as D. nitidula x pulchella have extremely purple/pinkish violet flowers. There have obviously been some taxonomic updates with this group.

The flowers on what I have labelled as D. nitidula x pulchella look nothing like this http://www.necps.org/images/20030701-CP-D.nitidula x pulchella-flowers.jpg

However the flowers look more like this http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ooo0037me.jpg

Is there both a white flowering and purplish/pink flowering variety of D. nitidula x pulchella? My guess is that you get both flower colors depending on what clone of this hybrid you have. Given that D. nitidula have white flowers and D. pulchella have pink/purple/orange.

Pygmies get mislabeled quite often as the gemmae are so easily scattered between pots. I have D. nitidula x pulchella from two different source. Although that's no guarantee that they are different clones. Both of mine produced pinkish flowers.

The color balance and exposure is off in the first photo so I don't think it is a good reference to judge flower color.

Sean could probably answer the flower color question more definitively.

Hi. I've been following this thread for a few days, because I also have 2 unidentified Drosera seedlings, which I assumed were Capensis (I had one seed) except all the other Capensis seedlings are twice the size! These two are barely growing, and having read how they could possibly be some other type of sundew I'm actually beginning to be worried for them! They don't seem to be growing, and they only have 2 true leaves, even though they're like nearly 3 months old, which is much too slow compared to my other Capensis, so what should I do? I'm afraid I'm going to kill them?!?

Feed them. When Drosera seedlings growth (any CP actually) stalls like that it's often from lack of nutrients. Drosera rotundifolia and hybrids are particularly hungry and need a lot of nutrients to grow. Drosera glanduligera seedlings are very unhappy if not fed and often die without feeding.

Or they could just be weak plants. In my seedling pots there is always a percentage of plants that stay small/grow slowly no matter what I do. I repot the more vigorous plants and if the "runts" don't take off after that they usually get discarded.

What to feed them? Powdered freeze-dried bloodworm or crushed fish food flakes is what I normally use. If you have an electronic bug trapper/zapper you can dry and powder the dead insects from that. Mist lightly to aid digestion. As the seedlings get larger I feed with flightless fruit flies and what ever small insects I happen to catch.

nitidula x pulchella has a pink/purpule flower....mine had flowered today...again!
many options for a id on the seedlings!!!!!!!
i remember reading somewhere that the pygmy hybrids have steril seeds that will not germinate and can reproduce only by gemmae.......is this thrue?????????

Well, looks like I've been teamed up on. I still think a few of them in the pic are capensis. :D

Don't worry yellowdart, I have sprouts in my pots that I thought were pygmys but they're now capes.

good find DroseraBug....i had no clue there is one with white flowers!
lol........i have sprouts in lots of pots too and i thought they are capes.....and unfortunately they are!!!!!!!!:censor:

LOL, I think yellowdart's got you there.

update!

here are more photos

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

LOL, I think yellowdart's got you there.

no, I think he's just backing out cos he's yeller....mind you, got to feel sorry for your crumbling economy and a currency that's not worth jack anymore...:-))

Back