User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant that looks suspiciously like an orchid!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant that looks suspiciously like an orchid!

I found a butt load of these. What are they? I was hiking up a mountain looking at waterfalls on a neighbor's property and found these interesting plants about 1.5 hours up the mountain. I was so excited, I went back (nothing scarier than sliding down a steep slope in the middle of no where), got my camera, and hiked back. I asked permission to take some and she didn't know what they were or care. The roots look a lot like C. acaule roots, although the stem is MUCH more robust. The leaves look similar but are more plicate, glabrous, and convex. The plants also have multiple leaves per plant. There was no evidence of any past, present, or future flower stalks. It was growing in an environment identical to the environment our C. acaule grow in, including the media, and there were two lone C. acaule plants in this area. Only two. This area was very large and there were hundreds of plants. If you can tell me what they are and when they'd flower, I'd appreciate it. If they are orchids or lilies or something, imagine the show! But if they're weeds, it's not worth hiking up a 70 degree mountain, putting up with Smilax and poison oak and ivy, twisting my leg and sliding down on my butt again.

Someone told me they think it may be a Clintonia. Bummer. Maybe not!

I would have never seen them had I not noticed a seedling with two leaves, which I though was a ramp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're a some type of lily to me.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... it does look suspicious.

What, you have poison oak in Georgia too?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everywhere. And I just learned that what I've called poison ivy my whole life is actually the non-toxic virginia creeper. This is why I hate common names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like "Lily of the Valley" to me, Convallaria majalis.

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~st..._113_small.jpg

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/i...50-0901020.jpg

hmmm..actually, maybe not.
    the leaves dont look quite the same..
    and JLAP's mystery plants look a bit larger than lily of the valley..so probably not afterall!

but I agree thats it probably some kind of lily..

Scot

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I going to say its' speckled wood lily (Clintonia umbellata) Liliaceae or similar Clintonia species.
    Kind of hard to tell without flowers. See http://www.gardensoftheblueridge.com...20lily%201.jpg. These plants like rich mountain coves. Found in appalachia or mountain areas from NY to GA.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a Clintonia now, too, BUT I've looked and looked and I can't find a picture of one that has leaves that are convex like these are. Like an unbrella. Or plants that are as plicate as these. Not much information out there on Clintonia.

Do you know when they might flower?

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the literature I've got from May to June. Maybe its a little late this year.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast